The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a shop that can weld a broken skeg back on a small (15 hp) outboard?

It is an aluminum skeg and I am in Southeast PA. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I don't have enough left for that to attach to. I'm going to need it welded back on by someone who can weld aluminum alloy.

As far as welding shops, I don't even know what that is nor how to find one. I guess I could call some boat repair shops.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
There is a guy in Bucks or across the river in NJ. I have some friends who used him. I will try to get his number.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Call this outfit:

Atlantis Props
111 Gaither Dr
Mt Laurel, NJ

856-231-0106

They may be able to do it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Years back I had a hole punched thru a lower unit gear housing by a rock.
It was an old motor with no parts available for a replacement.
Worse yet it was right on the edge of the drain plug location and included some of that threaded area.
I took it to a welder I knew well, and he said that's beyond my level of expertise, but I know who can do it.
When I got it back you couldn't tell it was ever damaged after I touched up the paint.
The welder I knew is still in business but his son now runs the place.
Jim, at Hendricks welding in Langhorne PA.
A skeg isn't nearly as big a deal and I don't doubt he could do it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I could hook you up with a guy if you were in THIS end of the state, but....................

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Springer

If the two businesses mentioned can't do it let me know. A friend told me there a commercial welding company in Philly that will weld aluminum and will take on small jobs.

·
Registered
19,652 Posts
With that Panther skeg you do not need very much of the original skeg left to make a successful repair.
I used one last fall on my small boat motor {90 HP} after my grandson lowered the motor as I pulled the trailer up the ramp. I was looking at new lower units until someone told about these.
Took less than 10 min to install and the boat has been in the water since late April and no issues.
Skegs are only to protect the prop from grounding out.
I see boats docked that have a little tooth of a skeg left and they just grind them down and run them.

Personally I would not advise that.
Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts