The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm looking for some input on the Sitka waterproof clothing ! I have bought several different brands that claim to be warm and waterproof such as field & stream, cabelas rain suede, whitewater,Pella, Rivers west and Medalist !
The rivers west did pretty good for a while but it doesn't breath and if you walk you sweat like crazy in it just like the Medalist !
I'm wondering if anybody on here has worn or own any of the waterproof Sitka clothing perticularly the incenterator outfit ! The outfits cost an arm and a leg but if they do what I want then I will pay for it ! I'm mostly looking for quiet, waterproof, warm and not real bulky for archery season early and late season ! thanks for any input !

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Not trying to persuade you from Sitka, but I just received on Friday Kuiu pants and jacket after my friends reports. This stuff is pricey, but top notch!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 25ftup and I looked at that stuff and got alot of opinions on it as well ! I heard it wasn't for stand hunting if its real cold and it was noisy ! I have never seen the stuff or touched it in person so I don't know how true it is !
Asajoe1 not to sure as to what jacket you got from gander but I've had several and they all said they were waterproof but I got soaked in mine ! You must have gotten real lucky with yours !

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Kuiu... it's the best I've ever owned. It's pricey.... but definitely worth it.

I've wore it out west several time... without a doubt... the best!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have used Sitka and first lite gear. I use a Sitka kelvin jacket insulated with primaloft, dang thing folds up in a small back pack and super lite. Warmest jacket I have ever had. I was a big thinsulate fan for years but they are heavy. First day in 2015 deer season it was 17 degrees and I was warm as toast. If it keeps me warm it should keep you very warm as I live in Los Angles and come hunt PA. every year. I do use DiamondDown base layer with first lite merino wool over that. Primaloft best I have found yet for warmth.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The only Sitka gear I have is the Downpour, jacket and pants.
This is the only rain gear that I have owned that has kept me dry. If you watch ebay it can be bought new in the 125-150 price range, that is for one piece though.

I

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I have a fair amount of Sitka gear....we can chat on Saturday when I get the pup.

Short version- I think the Incinerator line is going to be much too warm for the majority of hunting season in PA. I have the Fanatic jacket and bibs, and with layers, that is some WARM stuff. I wouldn't want the Incinerator line, as the only time I'd use it would be maybe in very late January for the tail end of the extended flintlock season here in 5C.

I wish they'd put GoreTex into the Fanatic series. I think that'd be PERFECT.

With a good layering system, and the Kelvin top/bottom, I don't foresee any temps I'll face in PA that I can't manage with the Fanatic system, but it's only got a DWR finish, it's not fully waterproof. It'll handle snow, light/spotty rain, but a steady rain, probably not.

Another thing to know about Sitka is to buy up at least one size from your usual size in clothing. Maybe two.

I wear L/XL tshirts. I bought a 3X Fanatic jacket, and I thought I'd swim in it. I sort of do, until I put on any kind of layers. Then it starts to fit pretty well. I probably should have a 2x, but I got it cheap, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts