The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem..I shoot one pin on my quest hammer 60 lbs. That pin is dead on at 30 yards..at 20 yards I have to aim about 2 inches low to hit dead on and them aim 4 inches low at 12 or less yards to compensate for being high...I live by the keep it simple stupid moto. I was thinkin of adding 1 pin set for 15 yards to split the difference...I don't want to think about making a lot things at the moment of truth. What would you do?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love having one pin....I just don't like holding low to compensate for the lower yardage.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
what yardage do you plan on taking most of your shots? if your average shot is 20....sight it dead on at 20 or whatever yardage you plan on shooting mostly. less to think about for you. what "I" would do is put the pins back on the sight and use them like they were intended. i have never had an issue of pins blocking vision. i use a 6 pin. thats just me. you always have options and can figure out what works best for you. good luck this year.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't plan on taking shots over 30 yards. I am comfortable out to 30 yards. Where I hunt the longest shot is about 35 yards...I was thinking maybe a 12 or 15 yard pin for those close up shots, so I don't have to hold so low.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
See I feel the opposite...with multiple pins, it gives me less to think about imo....20,30,40 etc...after shooting all summer, its 2nd nature..I don't need to think "he's 30yds use the 2nd pin..." he's 30yds the 2nd pin goes on him without thinkin....

Green for 20...go...
Yellow for 30..take your time and think it through
Red for 40...stop and make sure all systems are go....or wait on green...

That's just somethin I like...

Also, field of view is a non issue for me...shoot both eyes open...track the arrow to the impact...and you will know what happened...and where he runs...

To each his own....that's just how I do things and how it works for me...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So tonight while shooting I put a pin on my sight and set it for 17 yatds. I hit dead on from 9 to 20 yards...I think I am going to leave my set up alone now. I am going to leave my 30 yard pin alone, in case I need it..I am ready to go...the rages are going on tomorrow...

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
I would probably chose 1 pin dead on for 25 yards. You should be good 0-30.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That one pin thing sounds too complicated to me. Not trying to be funny. I like the pin to be dead center when I release. Up to 40 yards, I've got 3 pins that will do that for me. 0-20, 30, 40

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
I shot multi pins for years, but switched to the single pin and stayed with it for the following reasons:

With single a pin there is no gap shooting one can set their pin for 32 yards or whatever distance. The single pin coming up from the bottom of the sight does not block as much of the target from view as the additional horizontal pins do.

I have heard stories from other hunters who shoot 4 pins getting confused during the moment of truth, whereas; they are a accustom of raising their sights from below the target in practice but due to terrain, cold day or pure excitement they have lowered their sight from above the target and use the wrong second pin.

I set my pin as the deer enter my shooting lane for the distance I have predetermined with my trusty range finder.

Whatever one chooses they should practice until it is second nature.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well said.1 pin for me.I shoot a average size pin and use the top of the pin up close,middle at mid range and the onderside of the dot at longer range.Keep in mind that i shoot high poundage on a 09 elite 500 so it shoots very flat.

·
Registered
676 Posts
OK, reason to give me pause. My 1-pin friend missed a buck last year. . . shot clean under him. What does that prove? Absolutely nothing. I have thought some of these 5-pin outfits are a little overkill.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I shoot 4 pins. I also shoot a 462 grain arrow. I know the places i hunt, where my shooting lanes are, and what the distance is to the trails. It doesnt matter how many pins you have, if you can't judge distance you won't hit squat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i agree that judging yardage is key and the 1 pin deal takes some practice to get used too.I have a very fast flat shooting bow that i shoot year round and i can punch out a 3" hole in the mackenzie at 40 yds.I was just voicing an opinion,its not for everyone.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I shoot one pin and have been since 92 with a sight master...
I even had the touch master which allowed you to change the yrdge while at full draw...
I no longer shoot the sight master but an adjustable single pin is best for me. I have marks at 20 30 40 50 60 and 80
I typically leave it set at 25 in a tree but can move it quickly if needed. I feel that when you have too many pins you have too many variables. Too many chances for mistakes
One big peep
one sight ring
one pin...
line em up

breath and squeeze

1 - 16 of 16 Posts