The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the information imparted on this forum to be quite educational for the most part. I do have some differing opinion concerning AR and HR but what works here in Oklahoma certainly won't fit PA. Now for the real question. I have been toying with the notion of purchasing a single shot rifle for some time. I currently use a Browining BLR .243 which I have hunted with for the past 35 years. My question is what calibur do you think would work best..... .243, 30-06, 270, or 308? I grew up in PA, so I do hunt both states on a regular basis. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
If you are only targeting whitetails in both states - any of these would work. I always lean towards the more heavy side of calibers and bullet weights so with those listed I would think 270, 308, 30-06. I own and shoot both the 30-06 and 308 quite often and have owned a 270 for awhile. For a pure whitetail rig - a 130 grain premium bullet in a 270 is hard to beat.

With all that said - I find myself craving a 25-06 more often than not, so take a look at that round also.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I lean towards even larger. I like the 45/70 and 50/70`s. For the money, you can`t go wrong with an H&R Buffalo Classic in 45/70.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
First and foremost.............BUY AN ENCORE

If you have been using a .243 with success buy a .257 Roberts barrel.
JMHO(Based on fact and past practice)

Dave

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I was kinda suprised not to see the 7mm-08 on the list. It is an excellant 400 yard gun as well as a wonderful deer killer. I would also only buy the Encore. I know that alot of guys on here like the H&R's but they just are not the quality that T/C's are.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sportsman Doug said:
Andy1 said:
With all that said - I find myself craving a 25-06 more often than not, so take a look at that round also.
Another vote for 25-06. I have an Encore with a 26 inch 25-06 barrel and I love it.
25-06... From 85 grain pills for groundhogs to 115 for white tail, if you do your part the 25-06 will do the trick.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I like all of Encore Barrels... But when it comes to deer hunting the 3006 with the 24 inch barrel work awesome in the deep and not so deep woods..
Some say the 280 is good, as the 7MM08,
Who will use it? if only you or will a child use it someday? If so, A child or women or you? 7MM08 would be a good caliber..

·
Registered
681 Posts
All are great calibers and will kill any deer easily with the right shot placement. Always felt it best to get what you think is the best rather than what someone else states. Otherwise you always end up thinking what if you would have bought the caliber you were thinking about. Killing deer is more shot placement than caliber when you get down to the nitty-gritty.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Single shot ..... what caliber?

Staying within the confines of your list, and the fact that you already have a .243 I would have to go with the .308.

Not sure why but despite endless rounds of 30-06 in the Army and having one in the safe I just have never warmed up to it--and by the numbers it is a great caliber--just not much pizazz I guess.

As for the gun--while I have a Ruger #1 it remains a little like a trophy wife--man that baby looks great going down the promenade--but get her alone--deep in the forest---and she gets a headache

If I can ever get her to shoot--I'd be a happy guy.

I'm about to have an up close and personal discussion with Bab Hart about my "honey"--maybe he can get her to put out

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Me...I am buying more calibers for fox and vermin instead of deer...There is always vermin around to shoot...
Also Encore 22250 and 223 rate of twist is 1/12 not 1/14 like other mfg..... Thing would stablize .224 deer bullets real well then....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts