The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old single shot. The only thing written on it is EXCEL and a serial number. I was told it isn't worth much. Which I am fine with. I have no real use for it. I was thinking of using it for slugs. Would you guys think it would be worth it to get it tapped for a shotgun scope? If so how much you think it would cost to get tapped?Do you guys think it could handle slugs. It seems to be in good working condition. I still have to test it out.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Excel shotguns were made by Iver Johnson, and sold thru stores like Sears, Montgomery war, Western Auto.

Most were break action with a hammer, 12, 16 and 410 werre common. Is this what you have?
If so it was probably made earlier than 1920, most likely around 1900-1915. Because they were sold in catalogs/mails, a lot of them were purchased by farmers who didn't get to big towns. I say this as it is old and has some interesting history. It was an inexpensive gun.
While it has histroy, and is well made it probably doesn't have collector value. But if it has been in the family, it would be worth keeping as is.

Yes, it can easily be made into a slug gun, drilled and tapped, and moounta 2x Bushnell on it. I've done a number of such break action shotguns for family members over the years.

Taping the shotgun should be $20-30. But you also need a base $8, rings $20 and a scope $50. So you will have at least $100 in it, unless you have scope and rings aroound the house.
I add sling swivels and a sling and they carry very well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts