The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is the 12 ga single I'll be restoring. Going to be trying it this weekend in the grouse woods. I was playing with swinging it last night and think it swings rather nice, and is a load lighter than my 870. Still debating on what finish I want to use on it.

I imagine I will have to have my thumb on the hammer at all times and trigger finger pointed down the barrel, and on the ready. I am excited to try this guy out and see how it will work for me.

I want a nice double gun but hope this will get my by for now. I am unsure of what it is choked too, but am hoping it is improved or modified. I will throw up a few pattern shots with it before going out and see how it does.

Wondering if anyone out there has used a single for upland hunting, and if that hammer is a big issue. I will have to remember to put it back on safety for sure. I will be using Remington nitro sporting clays with 1 1/8 oz of 7.5. I was surprised at how much they actually kicked out of the 870 and can see this will be whacking me with the light single shot.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gun is only worth like 90 bucks so I am not that concerned with messing up the stock. I can always resand it. I am thinking of just clear coating the stock, and maybe try my hand at some artwork on it as well. We will see

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
bowmike,
Nothing wrong with a single shot Grouse gun, you may need to have the choke opened up however. My father started
us out with 20 Gauge Savage 24 DL's, so my brother and I would learn to gun Grouse correctly, having a one shot Hammergun with tight chokes sharpens a boys shooting that is for sure. We used the 22 mag on top for Turkey, Fox and Squirrels. I still own that O/U gun today, still think my brother owns his also, and had the breech lock, reworked this last year. The gun was a drastic change from my Grandfathers 28 Gauge Parker, no doubt about it, but then again, I thought I was the luckiest kid in the world, especially back then, to actually own my own shotgun. It accounted for a lot of game down thru the years.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's been a while, like about fifty years, but at one time I did hunt with an old winchester 37. Ours was a 16 ga and I think it was an IC choke. My brother and I both used it at different times to take rabbits, squirrels, grouse, and pheasants. It was just one of those guns that had been in the family forever and was always standing in the corner somewhere. I think it had belonged to my uncle before we took possession. I remember my cousin once took a pretty nice buck with it one day on our farm.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've enjoyed pulling my single 12 out of the safe. It is light compared to the O/U. Easy to carry and easy to swing.

One shot and done makes you aim better with that one shot. After some time using it, you won't need a double anymore unless you take marginal shots. Unfortunately in the grouse woods, many shots are marginal and lead in the air is king.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
timberdoodle said:
A single shot is like a built in excuse.. "would have definitely had the bird with a second shot but..."

Now ya gotta come up with some more excuses...
Is that what you say when you miss with two? If I only had a third...

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I use single shots all the time. I like the light weight. I have H&R toppers. .410, 20, 12 and just picked up a 16 that I have to tighten up. The 20 is a modified and is great for grouse and rabbits. By far my favorite. I own other shotguns but hardly use them hunting. I do take a bolt action 16 for snowshoes and birds. But having a bolt action for grouse is like having a single shot only heavy. The bolt comes up hard but swings nice. I hope the 16 single feels as good when I have it ready for next year. Waugh!

Oh and by the way the thumb trick is picked up real easy after a few flushes. But than again a few of my rifles are hammer guns. I had 9 flushes today but I was deer hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts