The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Looking to find an old single shot 12 gauge to use as my turkey gun. Can any of you suggest models to search for to get me started.?
Looking for a long barrel full choke setup.
I've run into a couple old timers carrying these guns for turkey, and thought it would be neat to find one and get it set up for myself.
Any model suggestions would be appreciated, but certainly not looking for anything fancy or collectible ,
Thank you all !
Dave

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I would suggest putting the Iver Johnson Champion high on your list.

They made a boatload of them........they are built VERY WELL........parts are readily available.........they pattern quite well, as-is.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Strut10 said:

They made a boatload of them........they are built VERY WELL........parts are readily available.........they pattern quite well, as-is.
and kick like a mule!! I got my dads old 16 gauge, man do it kick!!

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
H&R still has their site up so I am assuming they still sell Pardner single shot shotguns. They still list a 12 gauge with a full choke with a 32 inch barrel option!!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
cooncrazy said:
Strut10 said:

and kick like a mule!! I got my dads old 16 gauge, man do it kick!!
The Ivers are light as a feather.......even by single shot standards, I think. A joy to carry. A rocker to shoot..........

Think turkey gun = carry a lot, shoot a little.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I use to have a youth model 20 gauge J C Higgins full choked shotgun.. With high brass it kicked so hard it would give me a blood blister on my trigger finger.. I paid $25.00 for it on sale.. I do look at the single shots at flea markets now... Used ones are up to $180.00 now.. I sometimes think it might be better to get yourself a Mossberg slug and field barrel combo pump gun.. One of the Model 500 new. ???????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts