The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I was a youngin and watched Sgt Preston and a few shows about Alaska gold rush, exploration of the northern rockies, etc.,

I have heard stories about how spit will freeze before it hits the ground at 50 below, etc.

How did those traveling the sled dog routes and traveling in winter,,,,,,,,, well,,,,, keep from freezing their gonads when nature called?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Danesdad said:
when you wrote your name in the snow, ...
Would it make it to the snow, or look like a miniature sky writer pis.. I mean passed through?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
Ever since I was a youngin and watched Sgt Preston and a few shows about Alaska gold rush, exploration of the northern rockies, etc.,

I have heard stories about how spit will freeze before it hits the ground at 50 below, etc.

How did those traveling the sled dog routes and traveling in winter,,,,,,,,, well,,,,, keep from freezing their gonads when nature called?
Dad served his tour of duty in the Army Corp of Engineers in Alaska At Ft. Richardson after Korea. He became a member of the 60 below club on bivouac and learned a few things. When you THINK you need to pee get movin because by the time you get thru all the layers you're ready.#2 is done as fast as humanly possible,styrofoam is used for toilet seats as you will stick to a wood one and it's painful. Boiling water ,pee,coffee will freeze in mid air at -60.Motor oil is like grease, never shut off your engine if you don't have a block heater,using your cars heater defroster didn't work well,and your own breath would ice up the interior so he drove on base with windows down and parka hood up at -30,-40.During one bivouac he was sleeping in a triple down bag and nature called but the zipper pull on the innermost bag got hooked on his wedding ring. pitch black in the bag ,can't see to unhook,got to pee bad by now so no choice but to use the knife in his pants which was stuffed at the foot of the bag,a mummy bag at that.Cut himself out just in time. Since his service was ROTC deferment during Korea to go to college he was able to get a pick of duty stations. Georgia,nah too hot. Hawaii? oh yea! No..too far. Alaska? What the heck, sounds interesting and it was!

·
Administrator
28,757 Posts
Where I'm at twenty below and thirty below are common temperatures in the winter, and we deal with it by buttoning up the house as tight as possible. At the same time, dealing with the lake effect snows can defeat some of those efforts. For instance, If heavy snows are predicted I have to prop the storm door wide open or end up climbing out the window to go round and shovel enough snow to be able to push the stinkin door open.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts