The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the head that I am going to shoot next season. These things cut amazing holes and fly straight. Here's a pic that compares a slick trick, a silverflame, and a montec side by side. Also is a pic of the type of damage they do.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Huge hole and it looks cool, BUT I think it will fly wild past 20 yards. How many grains is that head?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Another wallet lightened by marketing.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They sell this head in 100 125 150 180 and 210. I don't mind paying 100 bucks for 3 heads if I can use them over and over agin. The steel is 440 rockwell hardness and the blades aparently resharpen and hold up really well. Reports on archery talk and fobnation are saying that these heads fly like field points out to 70 yards.

·
Registered
698 Posts
$100 for three broadheads is a little extreme. You say you are going to shoot these next season, have you personally shot these yet? If so, at what ranges? They are huge what is the width on them?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I want to try one myself, so if you got a spare send one my way, i'll send it back!!!

$100 is a little stiff even if they can be resharpened. I like the hole they make.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally haven't shot the head. The one I want to shoot has a 1 7/8 inch cutting diameter and is 180 grains. I will be pairing this set up with a Grizzlystik alaskan arrow.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
most of the reviews you read about any broadhead are going to say they fly just like field points, but then you are always going to have guys just like me or you saying nope they didn't fly well for me. So I take all the reviews with a grain of salt. I buy what I think looks good and should fly well something like that silverflame does not look like it would fly well personnally i think it would plane, but i'm sure you could get it to fly I know for 100 bucks it better be able to tune up.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3D Hunter said:
most of the reviews you read about any broadhead are going to say they fly just like field points, but then you are always going to have guys just like me or you saying nope they didn't fly well for me. So I take all the reviews with a grain of salt. I buy what I think looks good and should fly well something like that silverflame does not look like it would fly well personnally i think it would plane, but i'm sure you could get it to fly I know for 100 bucks it better be able to tune up.
I can't wait to shoot them and see. The closest fixed head that I have found to field point flight is the slick trick and the G5 striker. I am a broadhead junky and have killed deer with many heads. What the heavy broadheads like the silver flame do in my experience is pull the arrow threw the deer as apposed to the arrow with a multliblade broadhead pushing the broadhead through. most guys don't understand how important EFOC extreme front of center is and how it relates to momentum and penetration. Kinetic energy is important but it does not effectively show what an arrow will do down range. Momentum does.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
That is one large hole. If they fly true enjoy them. I'll stick to experiencing my arrows pushing my broadheads through the deer for now. Good luck and let us know what your results are. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buk_Huntir said:
Are you still using plastic forks and silverware lol. When I get these heads I will do a full broadhead performance review for you guys and include some pics and possibly some video on flight as well.

·
Registered
894 Posts
$100 for a three pk heck even a six pack is crazy! I found these last year and use them with a 25 gr collar for my traditional set up for a hole lot less and the same general design with a bleeder blade. I'm not a fan of two blades without any bleeder, but these are tough to beat for the $. if you have the $ to test these which if you can put that much down for broadheads I'm sure you can swing it, I'd love to see how the silverflames stack up to these!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
No need to push or pull any broadhead when you get pass throughs.

What is your setup with for shooting them things? My question is will you be able to shoot the same arrows that you have now?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
nl outdoors said:
Buk_Huntir said:
Are you still using plastic forks and silverware lol. When I get these heads I will do a full broadhead performance review for you guys and include some pics and possibly some video on flight as well.
Not sure I understand where you are going with that? A dead deer is a dead deer whether you shoot it with a $100 BH or a cedar arrow with a stone point...

·
Banned
462 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
nl outdoors said:
Buk_Huntir said:
Not sure I understand where you are going with that? A dead deer is a dead deer whether you shoot it with a $100 BH or a cedar arrow with a stone point...
I agree a dead dear is a dead deer and I dont think SF's are necessarily the best choice for PA whitetail sized game. Now by no means am I putting them down as I think SF's are head and shoulders above most BH's on the market. But again for PA sized deer I think they are well for a lack of a better term.....Overkill!

However if I were hunting a Grizzly, Moose, or were making a trip to Africa...SF's would be one of maybe 5 or 6 BH's I would consider for the job. The reason for choosing a SF isnt because your an everyday joe, well not for most, who is hunting everyday game...SF's excel when it comes to big game when a BH needs to have unparalleld toughness, penetration, and most importantly durability!

As for your statement of "another wallet lightened by marketing". Tell me the last time you saw a add, comercial, or pro boasting about SF's....yea thought so. SF's price is not a product or overpayed pros and elaborate marketing scheme's but rather its a product of the highest quality products available producing one of the best BH's money can buy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
They erased my link but there is a broad head that resembles this made by Carbon Express for 1/3 the cost I'll go reference the carbon express sight and pull a pic of that one to show it runs about $23

·
Banned
462 Posts
Wing & a Prayer said:
They erased my link but there is a broad head that resembles this made by Carbon Express for 1/3 the cost I'll go reference the carbon express sight and pull a pic of that one to show it runs about $23
Thats great that they "resemble" a SF, but they are in no way the same or as high quality as a SF. I think we all are smart enough to understand that just cause something "resembles" something else doesnt mean they are the same product or even near the same quality. First major differnce is the quality of materials used...the SF's are all high quality steel the CX bh's, formerly the Eastman First Cut XT, is aluminum ferule and I believe steel blades, but could also be aluminum. Second is the fact there is NO support between the CX blades and the ferule, whereas the SF has support going between the blades and ferule which in the case of hitting heavy bone in a big boned big game animal will keep the SF from breaking. Not saying the CX wont work but to say its even on the level of a SF is just rediculous and untrue!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I also think we are smart enough to recognize that these will kill them just as dead as the $100/ pk broad heads, my point was simply for those who cannot afford the Sf these are a reasonable alternative the Steel blades are not those of the SF but for a white tail or black bear or even hogs they are more than capable. I personally don't like the SF because of the lack of bleeder blades a cut that clots less easily vs those with a bleeder blade, I have shot enough deer with the Zwickey, magnus and the old Fred Bear tips to make that realization. Most would rather fly first class but some of us save our money and ride coach!

·
Banned
462 Posts
Wing & a Prayer said:
I also think we are smart enough to recognize that these will kill them just as dead as the $100/ pk broad heads, my point was simply for those who cannot afford the Sf these are a reasonable alternative the Steel blades are not those of the SF but for a white tail or black bear or even hogs they are more than capable. I personally don't like the SF because of the lack of bleeder blades a cut that clots less easily vs those with a bleeder blade, I have shot enough deer with the Zwickey, magnus and the old Fred Bear tips to make that realization. Most would rather fly first class but some of us save our money and ride coach!
I agree the CX's are more than capable for those 3 animals you stated...but like I said for big game animals like grizzlies, moose, and African game I would not trust the hunt of a lifetime on a CX japanese made BH because I wanted to save a few bucks. I would rather KNOW my BH is made of 100% high quality steel and is NOT going to break but rather its gonna slice right through that sucker and rip one heck of a nice hole!!!

As for not liking a SF due to lack of bleeder blades, have you ever seen a SF in person????? Did you see the pic on the first page of this thread???? These things are crazy sharp and if you put it where it needs to be....their not gonna have time to clot!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts