The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was walking a field for a bit looking for rocks and found me a belt buckle...

Is it silver?? I am pretty sure it is...?

Don't mind the rust scale..looks like it maybe had a steel attachment that's rusted away..it flakes off pretty easy..

Worth anything? At least its weight in silver? Lol.

Worth keeping/cleaning/selling? How should I clean it...or not clean it..?

Not really a "junk collector". I'd sell it if its worth anything (looks like a regular ole belt buckle to me so I doubt it). But if its silver I'd clean it and keep it to " cash in"

Could be trash..but I thought it was silver so I threw it in the pocket....which didn't collect any points...I need a good rain to wash my rocks still!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I doubt it is silver.

The rusty area looks pitted. And, although I’ve never dug a silver buckle, silver rings and coins usually come out of the dirt almost as shiny as when they were dropped.

I have my own testing kits for gold, silver, and diamonds, so I’m not sure if a shop charges anything for testing.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
silver plated at one point maybe, but nothing about that screams silver. As Longie said, when you get silver, you know it 100% and there is no doubt. Dirt doesn't stick/cling to it and it doesn't pit. Nice old buckle though

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang! It seems heavy....and isn't horribly tarnished which is why I thought it was..the shine caught my eye..the rust threw me off till I realized it doesn't seem to be apart of the buckle...

I will play around and see if I can figure out what it is made of before I toss it...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe brass? I scratched the clean portion and its fairly soft..and looks to have a brass color...patina is what brass/copper would have too with the blue/green tarnishing..

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
brass would be my guess as well, I have a half dozen or so like yours and they are brass. the rust is from the tongue/ring part of the buckle

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree...you can see in the pic how "silver" the inside looks though...it caught my eye a mile away...

Didn't know silver doesn't really oxidize or anything like that...

Sure is a weird place for a belt buckle to be....

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Sounds like a place to swing a detector. Chance of possible colonial camp or foundations no longer visible!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts