The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after seeing Kish's post about his first silver, it made me realize there was a time when I didn't know what to expect when I'd pull my first silver. Every time I'd dig a dime or quarter, i'd clean it off and check the date to see if it was silver. Oh how little I knew........when I did find my first silver, it was obvious, no questions or date checks needed as silver doesn't stain like other coins do.
The pics are from a hunt 2yrs ago, when I first received my Minelab Etrac. I had been to this property numerous times, finding wheats and common clad. First time there with the Etrac, I was getting used to it when I had a slammin' hit. Turned out to be this beautiful Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Followed it up a few minutes later with the sterling ring, but you can see by the gold pan that the treasure doesn't come without digging a LOT of trash. You can also see how easy silver is to see compared to the rest of the items...........yes it came out of the ground just like that!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Yes silver has a distinct sound when dropped and color. Been collecting coins all my life, heck when a silver coin is dropped across the lunch room I can tell. Just last week a woman dropped one and tried it several times in the machines. Naturally the machines rejected it. She asked me to replace it, I gave her another quarter. 1956, I said to her you might want this back! Told her the date and that it was silver. She took it back.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh without a doubt it sounds different. a few weeks ago a secretary at work was counting coins and from about 25ft away I heard "that sound". Promptly walked over, handed her a quarter from my pocket and said I wanted the one she just dropped in the pile. 1952 silver quarter

I just walked away as she looked on in amazement. I've always been toned in to the sound since my days as a child, but never realized just how clean they stay compared to others underground until I pulled a few....hundred

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LifeNRA said:
Few....HUNDRED! LOL!!!
Yeah ever since my father took me to a coin show when I was young I am forever looking at my change!
My uncle has been the influence in my life and I am glad he took the time and kept on me, I just wish I would have given in sooner.
Took me a few months to find my first silver, a mercury dime. Ended that month with 19 more and have been finding a lot ever since. Seems like once it "clicks" look out, finding quality spots is the hardest part, but when you do, they rain silver.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yes only silver coins I've seen tarnish dark Gray
has been Beach Silver, long time Mud Silver,
and Coins laying on Steel for long periods of time.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I was around ten years old when I found my first silver quarter. Back then you could walk the railroad tracks, I just happened to see something on its side and shiny. I ran home and couldn't wait till my father got home! I still remember exactly where that was found. Hmmmm now I have an idea!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts