The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my son has shown a real interest in going squirrel hunting. His excitement is contagious and has made me want to get back into it. I haven't squirrel hunted in earnest for years. I have several shotguns I could use, but was thinking of using a .22 instead. Years ago I picked up a bolt action marlin .22 mag. My plinkin .22's I have sited in at 50 yards. Do any of you guys use a .22 mag for squirrels and do you site them in at 50 or 100 yards. I have owned the gun for a while but wasn't sure of its effective range. Sorry if this is a silly question just wanted to get some feedback before I go to sight in. Thanks guys and info is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I don't (or haven't) hunted squirrel's in years. But the 22 Mag will be more than enough gun out to 100 yards. I use my 22 Mag to kill fox and when I have that 100 yard shot on a Red or Gray, the 22 Mag will do the job as long as I do mine.

SW

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I would sight it in dead on for 50yds then see where it's at when you shoot 100yds for tree rats

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
If using the mag be carefull where you hit them. Anything other that a heasd shot will result in a mess.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I will sight it in for 50 and go from there. Hunt/fish thanks for the tip on the head shots, I will try that.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I use my .22 mag Marlin Model 783 for squirrels regularly. It really makes no more of a mess than a regulare .22. I sight in dead on at 50 yards. Check it at 75. You will be hard pressed to even get a 100 yard shot on a squirrel.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
my 882SSV (marlin) is sighted dead at 100, 1" high at 50 and dead at 25. judging distnce on on squaks is the hard part...they dont' afford much time. I usually aim at the bottom of their chest or jaw and let'r rip

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Mine is an old Savage 24 O/U 20 ga. mag and 22mag with Weaver 1-4x wide angle scope. I have shot squirrel, foxes, and chucks with it. I sight it in for 50 yds., need to hold about 3" higher with the shotshells. I found the Remington 33 gr. Accutips to be most accurate 22 mag shell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts