The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am already sick of dragging full bodies into the field if we can not drive. Anyone try hunting over sillos or deadly decoys for dark geese before? Just wondering if that is a decent option or a waist of time. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Last year we shot an 8 man limit over all silos in about 20 min.. And a 4 man limit the day before.. Both days the fields we hunted were loaded.. If you have geese in a field you can definitely do it, but I'd imagine later in the year it will be tougher as the birds see more, but you never know

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
NOT a fan of silosock-type decoys for canadas. Too much motion with only moderate winds. I have seen them work well for lessers/cacklers that tend to flock up and dive bomb spreads, but I would look into silhouettes if you want light weight, ease of set up and bird finishing detail. Take a look at Big Al's "Take em" style Silhouettes. Look great, finish birds and for the money (between 70 and 80 bucks a dozen) they won't empty your wallet and the owner of the company is a heck of a good guy too! I ran all FB's and shells for years (bw 9 and 12 dozen depending on what I bought and sold and now. I'm running almost exclusively Al's silos, with shells or a few FB's mixed in to add "bulk" when I think I need it. Their darker in color too, which not only makes them look more like a live goose but makes them fantastic for traffic hunts where you NEED bird grabbing spreads to pull in those long birds...

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I've been hunting black and white decoys, pretty much since I started hunting geese. "Shine" is pretty much a myth, used by decoy makers to sell you sell you silo's for $120/dozen.

I'm out of the decoy making/selling game, so I have nothing to gain, and I will not stop using black and white silo's , as long as they keep working.

I have never seem "Al's" silhouettes, so I can't speak for them, but I used to own real geese, outlaws, Jenny vane's, home made plywood, and home made corrugated. They will all work, only difference is price and weight.

Just remember, there is no magic decoys. There are days you will get skunked or not have the birds finish perfectly when hunting with silo's. but as your experiences grow, those same days can, and DO happen when hunting over full bodies as well. So you can blame the decoys, but you really have no way of knowing, in all reality.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The absolute KEY to hunting with silos is SPREAD THOSE THINGS OUT. I take between 2 and 3 BIG steps between each decoy, setting them out at varrying angles to the last one and only then will I fill in with FB's or shells, if I even do. You figure a silo spread is equivilant to about 50% fewer FB decoys, meaning it takes approx 1.5 silos to make 1 FB. You will need a bit more silos to do the same job, but it pays off in spades when you can easilly bring in say 12 dozen silos in the same space it takes to haul in 1 dozen FBs...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts