The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure some of you have bought silencers for your guns.
What was the paperwork process and did you get a trust?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have not by my friend did, he went to a gun shop in Jersey Shore that handles that kind of thing and said it was pretty straight forward. They sold the suppressor and took care of all the paperwork. No Trust, not sure why you would want to do one for a suppressor.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I built both of mine, along with a few short barrelled rifles, and completed the Form 1's online. I created a trust to make the process a little easier. There was no need for fingerprints and picture if going the trust route instead of individual. However, 41P went into effect this past July which requires prints and photos be submitted for all individuals listed on the trust for any applications submitted after July. There are still advantages to a trust though. If the silencer is owned by the trust, any trustee can take it when and where they want. If it is registered to an individual, that person must be with the suppressor. Your adult child, wife, parent, etc. (if they are a trustee) could use it, take it to the range, etc. without you being present.

If a shop has a silencer you want, you and or the shop submit the paperwork, photo, prints and or trust after you pay for the silencer. Then you wait. I'm still waiting on a stamp for an application I submitted late June. Once the shop receives your approval/stamp, you can pick it up.

If a local shop does not have the silencer you want and your shop has to order one in, you will add additional time to the wait because the ATF has to approve the shipment of the silencer from one shop to the other and your paperwork cannot be sent in until your shop takes possession

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I have one but live in Md. so here is what I had to do. I paid for it up front and dealer gave me paper work. First filled out Md. goofy thing and took them 3 months to get it back, then had to forward that part to ATF. Atf will take 6 months but you have to do your state thing first. It cost like 200.00 and good for life. best thing to do is send it in and forget about it then one day you will get a surprise through the mail. On the other hand save your money I dont think they are worth it. If your expecting like you see on tv you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I didn't create a trust. Application was pretty simple and straightforward. Fill it out. Get fingerprinted. Get your chief of police to sign off for you and send it in. If you get it back in 6 months, count yourself as one of the lucky ones. I've spoken to several people who waited over a year. No big deal.

·
Vendor
5 Posts
I recently bought my first one and can't wait to get it in hand!! My A17 will be even more fun next spring! :)

I had no idea how to do it and used Silencer Shop for the entire transaction. I called them and spent a half hour or so on the phone with a guy. He was extremely informative and explained the difference between a couple of different trust options. I chose one that allows the trustees to have possession of the silencer without me. My wife doesn't shoot so my primary goal reason for this is that I go on annual varmint shooting trips with a buddy and this setup allows him to be legal if he is driving my truck to the store or something with my suppressor in the rig without me. Also, if he goes on a trip for a weekend that I can't tag along, he can borrow my suppressor.

Silencer Shop has a kiosk at local gun shops that allow you to go in and electronically do your fingerprinting on the spot! And they have an app for smart phones so you can take your required photo of yourself with your phone and upload it to them using their app!

Again...this has been my one and only experience with suppressors to date, but it was very easy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19,107 Posts
i have heard unless you are using sub sonic ammo in your gun, you are still going to get that "CRACK" when you shoot the gun even with a silencer.

as Outofstater said, its not like tv. look at the silencer videos on u tube.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I can't justify the cost of both the suppressor and the stamp. Maybe if one of these new hearing protection bills passes it will be easier and cheaper. It just doesn't make sense for the shooting and hunting that I do. Recoil isn't a concern for me. I wear hearing protection when at the range. The only time I could see myself using one would be on a shotgun for waterfowl or small game if I'm getting a fair amount of shooting in, but at the same time I wouldn't want a suppressor on my shotgun throwing off my swing and all.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Having a Trust or LLC will also limit your liability, so it's not to just to avoid doing finger prints as some would suggest. There were a lot of positives to going the Trust/LLC route.

I can always tell I'm on Hunting PA as there are some FUDD mentality in these comments.

If you don't want to buy a factory suppressor...you can always build your own. It's not that difficult and you can buy DIY kits that are very effective and much less than a brand name suppressor.

·
Registered
19,107 Posts
i heard you can just screw an oil filter onto your AR...u tube video shows how.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts