The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever go to MD for sika...looking for info from anybody who may have done. If not I'll just have to talk w/ them at Sportsman Show

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'll second that TJ and Joe at Muddy Marsh are great guys.They run an archery only opperation. we have always had a great time.

here is there contact # 410-228-2770

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on their website earlier today
Thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Went with a place in Dorchester Co. over 10 years ago. The guy was a jerk, got mad that I passed an iffy shot on a 5pt stag. That was the only "opportunity" either of us hunting had that week.

I've hunted Assateaugue a few times. Great opportunity to take some sikas if you know when/where to hunt and get drawn for it. They're GREAT eating, too.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Do it yourself... No need to pay the ridiculous fees the outfitters charge. Fishing Bay WMA is huge and not that much pressure. Particularly during archery when the rut is going on. Look at the page the Maryling DNR has for Fishing Bay. Find the map. Match it up to Google Earth. You can do most of your scouting with the map and Google Earth. Wear hip boots, bring a Thermacell and be ready to hike in a mile or two. Cheap places to stay in Cambridge. I make a 4 or 5 day hunt out of it every year. 80% success rate on 4 point or better stags. Never paid a penny to anyone but the State of Maryland for the hunting license.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to look into that
Thanks...would be an easier Ok from wife also w/ keeping some money in pocket

·
Registered
215 Posts
I love to eat whitetail, moose, and elk. What does sika taste like?

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
8mikemike said:
I love to eat whitetail, moose, and elk. What does sika taste like?
Almost no way to get it to be gamy, and it will tender, even if grill-cooked to well done.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
If you have a boat, try Chance & Guinea islands out of the Best Pitch boat ramp at Fishing Bay. Boat only access, should have the place to yourself during archery.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Do you have to draw to hunt Fishing Bay WMA?I use to go out every year 20 years ago to Brad Dysingers camps.I can't find any imfo on him anymore so I guess he's out of it.Been wanting to go back after some sikas

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No drawing for FB from what I have read on MD DNR website.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a few spots in My Sika Club open this year since I added a new property. Basically, a couple of private pieces In Lower Dorchester County located adjacent or near Blackwater NWR in Lower Dorchester County. No limits on hunting days or seasons (gun (Rifle), muzzy and bow). Includes older house to stay for six guys. Cost includes corn, feeders, insurance and the ladder stands/towers. Cost is $1,100 per year and limited to smaller group. Four work days required. Drew 302-528-1203

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Jayden41 said:
Do you have to draw to hunt Fishing Bay WMA?I use to go out every year 20 years ago to Brad Dysingers camps.I can't find any imfo on him anymore so I guess he's out of it.Been wanting to go back after some sikas
No draw, no permit required for deer hunting. Open to public hunting all seasons for deer. You can camp at Bestpitch if your rig is self contained.

There may be a draw or reservation required for goose blinds though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sika is they finest eating game meat I have had the pleasure of eating. They are fun to hunt, just like miniature elk. I hunted last year with a friend who has been calling for them for many years. I think we called in about 20+ hinds and stags. A rush to say the least. I am definately going back!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts