The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about treating myself to a couple days down on the Eastern Shore to hunt sika deer. I've seen a couple outfitters (DOA, Muddy Marsh). Anyone have a recommendation? Also, I was thinking about going in September so I wouln't miss archery up here. But my one buddy says I'll never get a stag unless I hunt the rut. I also have heard that your best shot is in the early season before they go totally nocturnal.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
First couple weeks of Oct would be best if you are archery hunting. The early muzzleloader is a great time but I believe Muddy Marsh is archery only. I have heard the best things about muddy marsh. Have heard some negatives about DOA and never heard of Twin Willows. Lots of public land if you want to do it yourself. It gets real crowded during the ML but archery normally isnt too bad. If you go early Oct you should be able to fins some deer as they will be bugling so you can hone in on their locations.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will be archery hunting. Whether bow or crossbow depends on the old rotator cuff. Just started pulling a verical bow back recently, down to about 40lbs pull and not a lot of repitition. But, either way, archery.

I will check out Twin Willows. Was already looking at Muddy Marsh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look up Chesapeake Pursuits on the web. Don't know Jason personally, but have heard a lot of good things about him. I think he guides for a place called Sika Stag.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My buddy hunted Sika Stag. He shot a spike. Their website looks more like a real estate site than a hunting camp, though.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Captain Ike said:
Look up Chesapeake Pursuits on the web. Don't know Jason personally, but have heard a lot of good things about him. I think he guides for a place called Sika Stag.
I know jason, he has done a few taxidermy mounts for me. Very stand up guy. Shoot me a PM and I will give you his contact info and some other helpful links.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm leaning towards Muddy Marsh. Any reason I should look harder at the other guys?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I also know Jason and his wife personally great guy and knows about siks deer . His sika txidermy work is awesome bought our chocolate lab from him great dog!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also dont go Sika hunting without a Themacell or 2 take it from me the skeeters in the marsh will make You come home a few pints short

·
Registered
837 Posts
Jason does guide for sika stag. Good place to go. Tj at Muddy Marsh also top notch. These 2 are tops for sure. Do your homework on DOA. Never heard good about them and has gotten into trouble over the years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts