The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN reports the Steelers are looking at signing a free agent before resigning Troy. I don't question much that they do as they always seem to put a quality team on the field year in and year out........but this I question big time.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Why? Polamalu is probably the best safety in the game, when he plays. He hasn't been able to play a full season in a while. He's not getting any younger. Last year he came back and wasn't the same Troy. The Steeler organization knows more about what is going on with him than you or I could possibly. So if they say they're looking into another option there must be a reason.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I read that TP isn't completely 100% from the injury last year so they may be protecting themselves.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Troy will never be 100% anymore. Just like Bob Sanders in Indy, they are paying him a TON of money and getting little production out of him due to the injuries.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I wouldn't say they are getting little production, but it never hurts to look at other options. I think both sides realize that he will not be paid like he is now. They also factor in Troy's value as a business asset, such as jerseys sold.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
When healthy, Troy might be the best defensive best player in the league. I think they will give him a new deal at some point but it seems like they want to focus on free agency right now.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
The free agent they were looking at was Jericho Crotchery--no, I didn't accidentally misspell that. THEY DO NOT NEED MORE WIDE RECEIVERS!!!! THEY NEED MORE TOUGHNESS, AND MORE GUYS TO NOT SCREW IT UP AND TURN IT OVER!!! So help me God if they allow signing a mediocre receiver to cost them Troy.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I am not worried, Troy is going to get another contract.
Also, they are looking at other players to help them out, not just WR . Our starters are pretty much already set, the Steelers just want to add some depth at certin positions.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
What they need to do is get serious about the O line and CBs if they want to be contenders. Sadly, I believe that they have waited too long to find anyone of use in those categories.

You know, I love the Rooneys but their reluctance to get involved in signing free agents bothers me. Other teams all across the NFL sign free agents every year in hopes of finding that last piece that will make them a contender. Now the Steelers have watched New England get stronger with their additions, watched the Jets get stronger with their additions, watched the Ravens get stronger with their additions. All while they sit back and hope that the same squad that had Ben running for his life last season and receiving a broken nose and broken foot, and a secondary that consistently got torched by elite QBs, will somehow be able to be "better" this season.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Which franchise has been the leagues most successful since 2004? It isn't the Jets, Ravens, or even the Patsies. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can't be strong everywhere. If officials would call half the times that Silverback and Woodley get tackled by linemen, that secondary wouldn't matter. The line stinks, but we were one of the last two teams playing last year, and we screwed that game up for ourselves by not wanting to win bad enough. Kemo is an embarrassment, but what else are you going to do? No secondary will be successful long term when they can't look a receiver in the eye without a PI call, and the pass rush isn't even allowed to talk mean to a QB, especially if that QB is named Brady.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
What they need to do is get serious about the O line and CBs if they want to be contenders.
Um..... What Football league have you been watching? Last time I checked the Steelers have not only been "contenders" in the past decade but Champions also!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
SgtUSMC said:
TraskOutdoors said:
What they need to do is get serious about the O line and CBs if they want to be contenders.
Um..... What Football league have you been watching? Last time I checked the Steelers have not only been "contenders" in the past decade but Champions also!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least when it comes to the Steelers, I think Trask is a glass is half empty kind of a guy.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
steelhead125 said:
SgtUSMC said:
TraskOutdoors said:
At least when it comes to the Steelers, I think Trask is a glass is half empty kind of a guy.
He's that way with the Penguins too. I don't know that I've ever heard him say anything positive about either team.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Yes they are contenders year in and year out but the SB exposed their weaknesses. It has been no secret that their secondary had been mediocre at best for some time now. It sad to admit but the last real CB that they had was Rod Woodson. What hid their ineptness in the secondary for years was the fact that they have always had voracious D lineman and LBs who have put pressure on QBs forcing them into bad throws or taking sacks.

It has been years now that the Steelers D has stunk it up big time against good passing teams. The only time that they have beaten the Pats in recent memory was when Brady went down and Cassel was their QB. The only time that they beat the Colts recently was in the playoffs and only because they were able to get to Manning. They lost to the Saints last year as well when Brees picked them apart.

You guys can call me a Debbie Downer if you like but I am just calling it like I see it. Do I hope the Steelers win the SB? Absolutely, just like I do every year. Do I think that they will win? Unfortunately I think they are lacking key components to winning the SB in today's NFL. In order to be a consistent winner in today's NFL you need a great O line, a great QB and a great secondary. The last two SB winners have proven that in the Saints and Packers. Add to the fact that hitting in the NFL anymore, especially on QBs, is strictly prohibited and the Steelers are at a disadvantage from the get go. They are built on a vicious defense that will smack you around all day long and they are now being handicapped by the good ole commish.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Trask they won two Super Bowls with a average O line and the same secondary they have now. Next to the Patriots the Steelers have been the best team in the NFL for years. What more could you ask for ? I could not be happier to be a Steeler fan. We are very lucky.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Actually, the Steelers have been more successful than the Cheatriots since Ben arrived. The Cheatriots have stolen one SB, in 2004. The Steelers have two, and should have three but for the lack of desire in last years game.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Look, not to be too pessimistic here but listen. They won SB XL thanks in large part to the Seahawks not being a pass first offense. They pounded it with Alexander and the Steelers have always been great at stopping the run. They won SB 43 thanks to Harrison's miracle INT return and a acrobatic catch by Holmes in the endzone. They almost gave that game away thanks to the shaky secondary. Warner threw for nearly 400 yards in that game with 3 TDs. The only mistake he made was throwing one to Silverback and he made them pay. They nearly lost to the Jets last year in the AFC championship game because of the inept secondary. They did lose to the Pack because of it. Again, Rodgers would have easily surpassed 400 yards had some of his receivers not had butter fingers.

As I said, the Steelers have always covered up their poor secondary play with a great D line and awesome linebackers. Well guess what, the NFL isn't a "stop the other guys' running game and then pound it down THEIR throat" kind of league any more. It is all about throwing the ball all over the lot and having an elite CB like Revis or Ashmouga to shut the other guys down. The Steelers' D line and linebackers are aging now with the exception of Woodley. They don't put the pressure on QBs like they used to and that results in the secondary getting exposed against good QBs.

I sure hope that they make it back to the dance this year but I just think that they need to address a few problem areas in order to bring back number 7. Not that I care much about what the "experts" say but many of them don't even have the Steelers in the top 5 this year. Teams like the Eagles, Jets and Pats have gotten stronger while the black and gold has kept with the status quo of building through the draft and refusing to sign free agents that have much talent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts