The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of a PA forest.

Went out this morning for my first archery season since 2015 (and that was only one day). I might try to get back out later this afternoon, depends on the family's agenda for today.
Thanks to some great info from a fellow HPA member, I found a spot in the state forest in an area that has plenty of deer sign.

With the limited time I've had for scouting this year I kind of felt like I was going in, not really blind, more like going in without my glasses. But I did get some time to check things out.
I found my way in the dark to the spot I picked out two weeks ago and got myself settled in just before it was light enough to see. No matter where I'm hunting, being a part of the forest as it comes to life for the day stirs a special feeling in me, every time. This morning was no exception.

As the sun began lighting up the tree tops, I finally noticed that it wasn’t all that warm this morning, and that I was slightly underdressed for the temps. Still, the cool air felt far better than the sweat inducing heat that was present the last time I was on this ridge. The crispness of the air made the world seem right again.
About a half hour later I caught movement in front of me; a chipmunk scurrying along a log. Shortly after that the squirrels began their daily routine of back and forth, up and down, and generally just being their annoying selves. :)

It was also about this time that I realized that nothing seemed “different” to me. Even though I haven’t hunted in PA since 2011, except for that one day archery hunt in 2015, I hadn’t noticed the differences from my hunting locales of the past 7 years and here…. until now. The sights and sounds of the PA forests are that ingrained in me, even with not being in them for so long.
About the only thing the same are the types of trees. The ground brush is different, no such thing as Mountain Laurel in Germany. The sounds and sights of wildlife are different, gray squirrels, chipmunks, the screech of the Blue Jay. All different, yet normal. I’ve hunted over there for 13 years, yet each time I’m out I feel like so much is different. Here it is normal, and in my mind, as it should be.

I had just glanced at my watch, it was 07:59, when I looked over my shoulder and spotted movement 40-50 yards to my left. I slowly turned to look and spotted the unmistakable shape and ears that make up the head of a black bear. Something else not found in my previous hunting area! I watched as he (assuming he, alone and looked to be 150-200 lbs) slowly made his way up the hill and through the laurels. Looked like he was feeding on the acorns as he made his way to rest for the day. Snapped a couple of photos with my phone, but can only kind of see him in one.
He's in the first photo attached.

Now with my mind and senses back to hunting and not nostalgia, I got back to the business of looking for what I came for; the Whitetail deer. As fate would have it, none were seen.

I stayed in that spot until around 10:00 then did a little poking around to look for other stand locations in the vicinity. The area is thick with laurels and I’m a ground hunter, so good spots are hard to find. I did find a trail that I could use for easier access, but it would greatly lengthen the hike in. I plan to explore the area some more, but on Sundays. Sounds like a good reason to take the Frau on a hike. :)

This seems like a long write up for a one morning hunt that was void of deer sightings, but that is what the sights and sounds of the PA forest do to me!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No apology, just came out longer than I thought it would. :smile2:

Getting ready to head back out now.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I got in the stand around 6am, didn't see anything but a beautiful red fox abiut 10 feet from my stand until 10 am, Then I saw pieces of 4 deer about 40 yards away in the brush, there may have been more but the leaves are still very thick, 100 could have slipped by me. On the other hand, it was a beautiful day in Penns Woods.

·
Super Moderator
27,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quiet evening. Thought I heard something moving around 17:30 but it was so windy I couldn't really tell. I got ready to go just about sunset, because I was on an easterly facing slope and it was getting dark in the woods around me. I put on my backpack, quiver back on the bow, and on my second step to leave some deer blew out of there. I didn't see them but they stopped just above me and started snorting. Something else I have heard in a few years. :)
Can't wait until next time!

I did see three deer cross the forest road, just down from where I parked, as I was driving out.

·
Super Moderator
27,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Was out this morning for a few hours. Didn't see any deer, but saw this little bugger when I paused as I was walking along a rocky ridge. Saw the body first, then looked north and south to find the head. I did, right next to my calf!
Something else I never saw while in Germany, and wouldn't mind if we didn't have them either.

Picture is turned ninety degrees, not sure how to get it orientated correctly.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went out yesterday in the morning and again for the afternoon/evening. Saw four deer and a bear in the morning, and four deer in the evening. One of the deer in the morning was a small buck. All of the deer except one were within 30 yards, but no shot opportunity on any of them.

It's pretty thick with low laurels in the area I'm hunting and during the morning, all the deer I saw seemed to appear out of no where. I prefer hunting from the ground, and have had a lot of success over the years, but when I went back home I broke out the climber for the afternoon. Was nice seeing deer before they were right on top of me. :)
Guess I'll start lugging that with me anymore.

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
Was out this morning for a few hours. Didn't see any deer, but saw this little bugger when I paused as I was walking along a rocky ridge. Saw the body first, then looked north and south to find the head. I did, right next to my calf!
Something else I never saw while in Germany, and wouldn't mind if we didn't have them either.

Picture is turned ninety degrees, not sure how to get it orientated correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts