The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TC firestorm that I am going to attempt to sight in on thursday. I plan to shoot standard pre lubed-patches with round balls or TC maxi hunter/ball. Range will be 25 yds, then back to 60 yds. I plan to start with 80 grains of 2F and see how that goes. My question is that I can move the rear sight, but am unsure if moving up/down in powder increments will work. The gun will be used primarily for hunting only. Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
80 grains is a good starting point, what size ball and patch thickness are you using. Usually for most calibers there are 2 two different ball diameters you can use. For example a .50 cal will shoot either a .490 or a .495 ball. Then there's patch thickness. They can range anywhere between .010 to .020. My suggestion is to start with a .490 ball and get several different size patches. If a patch is to thick it will make loading a bit difficult. Consistency will make finding the right combo easier. I shoot 3, swab with an alcohol patch or two then run some dry patches. To get any credible data you must be consistent. I wouldn't concern yourself so much with tinkering with the sights until you can shoot good groups, by all means stay at 25 until that happens. There are no shortcuts when dialing these guns in. Once you figure your load out they are incredibly accurate.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Up and down on the powder tighten up groups more than affect arc of ball or bullet.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Stikbow hit it.Go for groups 1st.When you do move your sights,move the rear sight the way you want the ball to go.MOST TC's like .015-.018 patch.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That's a good place to start, don't be afraid to change something to see what happens. Good luck, Mike

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I also own a Firestorm and have for 2 years now. When I started a friend recommended 295 grain Powerbelt hollow point bullets, and 2 Pyrodex pellets. I went with that combo and have excellent results on paper out to 100 yds.
The gun goes bang every time I drop the hammer.

Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to switching to a round ball and loose powder, or is it just a personal preference?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It's alot more fun.
I prefer the more traditional use of the rifle, and it's accurate. I've never tried a conical type bullet in either of my rifles, and I really have no desire to. It may be cheaper to shoot prb's, I don't know. I smile every time I shoot it, what more could a man want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts