The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to sight in new Tru-glo 5 pin sight. I started at 10 yards and shot and adjusted until the grouping was centered. Adjusted second pin and instantly got good groups in the center. So then I moved back to 30 yards and most of the groups are inches to the left. I did get two towards center. But most are to the left.

I don't know if I dare adjust the sight left and right at this point. Wouldn't that mess up what I've done at 10 & 20 yards?

I'm trying to salvage the last few days I have left to hunt after missing a buck with my old sight.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The farther out you get the more drastic the left to right is going to be so I would adjust it at the max distance you are planing to shoot first say 40yds then work your way in because the closer you get the less drastic it is gonna hit left to right, at least that's what I do.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Now I'm not a bow tech at all but this is what I've been told when I had the same issue a while back. After it was corrected I had no issue thereafter. So for whatever grains of salt it's worth...

It sounds like it's not the sight pins that are off but the arrow rest. You can have the pins dialed in at close range 10-20yds but when you get further out if you notice that your grouping is off then your the arrow rest may be off and it's the arrow rest that need to be adjusted back to its correct position first. If your arrow rest is in perfect position then you should have no issue with your pins being off left or right the further you go out when sighting it in.

Again, not bow tech and if

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
This is a rest issue not a sight problem. Move your rest a very small amount in the direction the arrow is impacting. Arrow hits left move rest to the left. Again a very small amount 1/32" or 1/16". Once you have corrected the problem sight the bow in.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
letumgrow said:
This is a rest issue not a sight problem. Move your rest a very small amount in the direction the arrow is impacting. Arrow hits left move rest to the left. Again a very small amount 1/32" or 1/16". Once you have corrected the problem sight the bow in.
Yup it is a rest issue but you would most liklely need to move the rest the opposite way of your point of impact to correct the issue, not the same way (in your situation with a left impact move the rest a hair to the right). Do a search on walk back tuning and you will find all the info you need to set the center shot on your rest. Once centershot is set properly then sight in your pins.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

I put a whisker biscuit on before the season started. I was shooting good at 20, 30, and 40 yards with the old three pin sight. The sight moved somewhere in between.

I'm going out to work on it. I'll try moving the biscuit to the right. Right?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
GSP,
First I'd take it to an archery shop and they'll get the centrpoint on your arrow rest reset. It's all but impossible to do this by eye and won't cost you hardly anything do get it done; if anything at all pending how cool your archery shop is. Once that's done you can then paper tune the bow to make sure no otehr adjustments to your noc point or arrow rest is needed either. Then adjust your sights as needed after all that.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If the sight has a level make sure it is leveled with the bow( hang bow from a rope and hang jug of water off bottom cam to level the bow, then adjust sight to level). Then make sure you are not canting the bow while at full draw, the smallest bit off will not show at 10 but will be exagerated the further back you go.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
set a pin at 20 yards DO
shoot at 5 10 15 20 35 30 35 40 with that 20 yrd pin

Make marks on the target where it hit and the yardage
As you move back it should drop straight down the target if it angles to the right or to the left this will tell you your rest needs moved

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
KCROE said:
Now I'm not a bow tech at all but this is what I've been told when I had the same issue a while back. After it was corrected I had no issue thereafter. So for whatever grains of salt it's worth...

It sounds like it's not the sight pins that are off but the arrow rest. You can have the pins dialed in at close range 10-20yds but when you get further out if you notice that your grouping is off then your the arrow rest may be off and it's the arrow rest that need to be adjusted back to its correct position first. If your arrow rest is in perfect position then you should have no issue with your pins being off left or right the further you go out when sighting it in.

Again, not bow tech and if
absolutely right. If your bow is properly tuned you would not have left/right issues at farther distances. unless you always have the same wind at the same speed every single day you shoot. wich is highly doubtful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts