The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a Savage 300 win mag and had a leupold scope put on. I took it out to sight it in. First two shots from 200 yards touched about 4 inches high. I lowered the sight and next shot was at 4 o'clock, an inch or two out. Fourth shot was 9 o'clock, two inches out. Then, it looked like a shotgun had hit the target because it was all over the place. Thinking it may be operator error, I changed the target and had somebody else shoot. First shot, dead center. The next three shots, all over the place. I checked all of the bolts on the scope and they were all tight. Each shot was within a minute or two of the next, except when we changed shooters. There was probably 10 minutes when we changed shooters. I have talked to two different people and they said when sighting this gun in, shoot one shot every 5 minutes because the barrel gets too hot. Anyone else hear this or have this problem? It is a sythetic stock and isn't a floating barrel, whcih probably helps to retain the heat.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I was going to say heat, but to only get ONE shot out of it before it gets erratic...that doesn't sound right. Check all the screws in your scope mounts. if it has sights, try removing the scope, sight it at 25yds with opens, see if it is still erratic. I'm leaning toward the scope or mounts being your issue. I wish you luck

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
guess I should read, you did say that you checked the scope bolts/screws.
that leaves the scope itself as the next culprit.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I's say first shooter, the first 4 shots were OK, with second shooter, just the first shot was OK. But, the barrel was still retaining some heat when the second shooter started.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
ok, that could make a difference. I had a similar issue last year with my 22-250. it was around 90 degrees outside and after shot 4 or 5 I was VERY erratic. Let it cool for 5 minutes and was good with the next 2, then back to crazy.
the fact that you got FOUR good ones out makes me feel a little better than if you would have only gotten 2 good ones.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
your best way to test this would be to shoot one.......cool down for 5 minutes........shoot one..........cool for 5.......continue until you've shot 5 rounds.

if you have a tight group, then heat was apparently affecting your accuracy. If you are still all over the place, you have bigger issues going on. Use a lead sled as well to take out as much human error as possible.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I would let it cool too and also check to make sure recoil isn't causing a flinch. While a .300 isn't a brute they do kick.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I was using a lead sled, so recoil wasn't a problem. I always knew a hot barrel could affect accuracy, but I wasn't expecting it to affect it this much. The other guns I shoot don't have the firepower like the 300 win mag, so I have never seen this problem before. The one buddy I talked to who said to wait 5 minutes between shots said that this gun wasn't meant for target practice. It is a hunting gun and usually/hopefully you aren't taking 5 shots in 5 minutes in the woods.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Definitely use a lead sled like suggested, eliminating a lot of human error with a sled.

What kind of ammo are you using? hand loads or factory? if hand loads are they hot loads? I tried sighting in my 300 Ultra with Remington Premier loads and I was all over the paper. I then loaded my own with some Barnes TSX and Nosler Partitions and they both solved my erratic issue. I thought the Premier ammo would have been pretty accurate but I sure found out otherwise.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Have you checked all the screws in the scope mounts and action?

Is this a lower end savage with the flimsy plastic stock? Are you in any way varying the pressure of the rifle against the front of your rest?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
pilotjjc3 said:
Factory load. Remington 150 grain. But I was thinking of eventually switching to Barnes.
Since you Already said you checked screws and nuts for tightness,
Grab yourself Some Federal and Hornedy Ammo and Try it out...

I have a Savage 243 and it Throws Remington Ammo all over the place and like You said, the target looks like a shotgun was shot at it!

Also, Take the Rifle and Stand it up with the But of the stock on the ground, take a 1, 5, 10 dollar bill (What ever dollar bill you have) and wrap it around the barrel (Do Not over lap the bill, hold onto the 2 ends)and slowly slid it down the barrel and see if you can slide it between the barrel and stock...if you can not slide it between the barrel and stock, loosen the stock screw a little till the bill will slide down between the stock and barrel....

Almost Every Savage I have seen is Very Finicky about what ammo you feed it, most of them want Good Ammo to get good Results.. Try Feeding your Savage Federal and Hornedy and see what it does!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Savages:

1) You didn't say if this was a new rifle or used???

2) If it's been shot a lot, the barrel may need a good scrubbing of copper remover. I use Sweet's with great success.

3) All Savage rifles have floated barrels (as WW-Duck has hinted to above). Do his dollar test and make sure your barrel is not touching the stock all the way back to the recoil lug. If it is touching somewhere, get sandpaper and dowl-rod and remove the high spot on the barrel channel. (I am assuming this is a factory stock)

4) If the rifle has ever been disassembled, was it reassembled properly? First...make sure it's unloaded!! Second, when you place the barreled action into the stock and put the screws in....just turn the screws down so the action and stock will not come apart. Then, point the rifle with the muzzle straight up to the ceiling so the recoil lug is against the stock's recoil lug cut out. Then "snug" the screws up...FRONT FIRST, BACK SECOND! Then, tighten the screws to 45 inch\lbs. FRONT FIRST, BACK SECOND!

5) Rear tang. Make sure the rear tang is "free floating." The tang should not be bedded to the stock at all. You should be able to slide a dollar bill or a match book thickness of cardboard paper under the tang and stock.

Check all of that "stuff" out and give us a "report". I'm assuming the barrel is a factory sporter type barrel. If that's true, it will get hot quick and begin to open up patterns after about 7 to 10 shots....so you have to let it cool.

But check the steps that I've outlined above. How do I know about these? I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

SW

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Heat can open groups alittle, I shoot in heat all summer and may wait 1min. between shots. 220swift heats barrel fast in 70*'s. If all bolts are tight scope and gun then that's that. My guess is the forend of stock touchin barrel. Next or also I'ed shoot the gun from sand bags if it is to much take turns with a friend. Put 2 bags at alittle in front of fl. plate and 1 at pistol grip area. I shoot a 300mag. and never time my shots. It's not a target round and don't know what you are lookin for but I'm happy with the smallest of a bigger group. Without lookin mine is about 1-1/2 at 100. Guy's tend to make smaller groups as they talk. Most times my swift shoots 2 touchin 2 more touchin and 1 is always off alittle to make 4 at 3/4 and the flyer very rare to get all 5 touchin I'm bein honest. Check that stock forend I know to do it my way.Take gun apart coat barrel and put it back together tight. Take apart and see what it looks like. you can do it again at range after a few shots. Stay with us so we find out what is up. Good Luck...later

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the advice. I have always used Remington for no other reason than that is what my father always used and it has worked well in my other guns. I was in Gander Mountian talking with an employee at the gun counter and he also said that Remington may be the wrong ammo for this particular gun. He also suggested Horneday. The guns was my fathers, but he never used it and gave it to my brother. My brother hasn't used it for a couple of years. New scope was just put on a month ago. He did kill a bear and a couple deer with it. I just spoke to him and he said when he took it to the range, the group would get wider the more he shot. He didn't wait the 5 minutes between shots. So, I think I'll get some Horneday ammo, go to the range and do the one shot every 5 minutes and see how that goes. Thanks again for all of the responses. They have been very helpful.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
i'd agree with sethwood...i once bought a used savage in a 7mm mag for next to nothing..it did the same exact thing your saying..it grouped very erratic...the culprit was the long screw that screwed up through the trigger guard into the action . it was way to tight..i loosened it just a smidge and the groups tightened right up to around an inch..not saying that's your problem but worth looking into..

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
yep, I agree too...but I use 65 INCH/pounds for the front screw and 45 INCH/pounds for the rear. Get yourself a can of Outers foaming bore cleaner at Walmart and squirt down the barrel from the action to the muzzle (so you don't get it in the action). Let it sit 1/2 hour to work and scrub/patch out. Try it again and if it's still coming out blue repeat the process until it's clean. Savages are notorious for rough barrels which foul badly. Then shoot 3 shot groups, no need for 5 shot groups with large hunting calibers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, here is the update. It took a while to get the gun and scope checked, and waiting for the ammo I ordered to arrive (Federal Vital shock with Barnes bullets).

I checked everything with the scope. I used the bore foaming cleaner to clean the barrel, which was very, very fouled. I took it out today and used the lead sled. I waited 5 minutes between shots. I took three shots from 100 yards. They were 2 inches high, about 1/2 inch to the left. First and third shot touched, second shot was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away. Not sure what "fixed" things, but it was probably a combintation of everything.

I then took it out to 200 yards. I only got two shots off before the severe t-storms moved through. These shots were about three inches to the left and slightly high. The two shots were about 3 inches apart. A little farther apart than I'd like, but I feel good about how good things were at 100 yards. It does seem like this barrel fouls quickly. Not sure why. Next time out I am hoping for better weather and more time. I plan on starting to zero it in at 200 yards right from the start.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looks like it is starting to come in for you. My son and I sight ours in for 150 yards using 180gr CoreLokts for elk. We can group them 1.5 to 2" sometimes better. Where we hunt most of our shots are 100 yards or less. The 300 will heat up the barrel quickly and it takes longer than five minutes to cool off those barrels especially in AZ. We look at three shot groups all are cold barrel shots. If the first two shots are right there we stop there and don't bother with the third shot. We use a lead sled so our recoil is negligible. One rifle is a Savage accu-trigger and the other is a Rem 700 and they shoot about the same.

The 300 is a great caliber and works great on elk for us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts