The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the process of setting up my archery bow for the 2010 season. I have already got the bow and the rest. They are listed below. I am looking for ideas on sights. Price isn't really a concern as I only buy a new bow about every 8 years.

So far I have bought:

- 2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35, 60-70pnd pull.
- QAD Pro Series Drop away.

Any opinions let me know. I am trying to get the best gear that will last. Like I said before, once I set my bow up... I rarely change stuff besides the string.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I recently put a Black Gold Solaris on my Maxxis. No pin halo and it works well in low light. Pins are micro adjustable. It is a very solid sight and the customer service is great. Through the mounting screws out by mistake, contacted the company and told them what i did, I had two new ones in a couple of days free of charge.

·
Registered
21,374 Posts
There's a ton of good sights out there.Just buy one with bright pins and a round pin guard.I've gone back and fourth the last several years between a trophy taker top pin,HHA and a Sword.I liked them all but for strictly hunting applications,I'd take a fixed pin over a moveable sight.The Sword gets the nod from me as the nicest sight I've used but there's lots of good ones out there.With that said,I've owned and absolutley hate Trophy ridge sights.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
I'm on my 2nd setup with an HHA sight. I love it. The rheostate to adjust the brightness is a nice feature. I have an OL-5500, and that sucker can get BRIGHT. I can see that pin well beyond legal shooting times (on both ends), so if it's legal to shoot, I can shoot.

I love being able to adjust it to the exact range I'm shooting and hold dead on with my sight. Just depends on what your preferences are.

HHA's customer service is absolutely fantastic. They will help their customers through about anything. In fact, my first HHA sight came on the bow when I bought it (from someone else), so I had no proof of purchase. I needed hardware to mount a quiver, and I contacted HHA.....they sent me what I needed free of charge.

·
Registered
21,374 Posts
I have an HHA and it is a great sight.Three years ago,I ranged a doe at 41 yards,moved the sight and hit her perfect.That was under ideal conditions at a feeding deer.Quite often,I shoot deer at distances that are pre-ranged but would really struggle to get the sight adjusted in time for a shot.It's not a big handicap but I like having a 30 yard and a 40 yard pin.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Im with you on that one dce. Ive strictly shot a single moveable pin for years now without any real difficulty but ive recently switched to a multi fixed pin sight for the reason you just mentioned. I prerange the areas i hunt as well and i see no need to take the time, even if its just a second, to have to move my sight before i draw back on a deer. Now ive never had a problem with a single pin in the past, but the more i think about it the more i dont want one to happen, so thats why i switched. Now i can spend my time drawing back on the deer instead of having to move the sight first. The couple seconds that you have to take your eyes off the deer to adjust that sight have always worried me. My bow shoots fast enough that im able to compensate fairly accurately between distances. I shoot one pin out to 30 yards with my katera.

·
Banned
462 Posts
I am a single pin fan and dont see myself going back to multi pins ever!!!

With that being said over the last year alone ive gone through well over 10+ sights, including Sword, Trophy Taker, G5, Tru Glo, Spott Hogg, Black Gold, etc., before finding the ideal one for me! I used the Sword Centurion .10 up pin last year and will be using the same again this year, sold my first one after season last year and regreted it every day til I got another one. It is built like a tank, stainless steel hardware, steel pin, super smooth, quiet, super bright, 2nd and 3rd Axis adjustment, and their customer service is second to none!!!

For those that suggest HHA I just scratch my head in disbelief....why would anyone spend that much for a sight with NO 2nd or 3rd axis adjustment???? The worst part is if you call their "top notch customer service" and ask about this....they will send you a frigin shim for 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment. The worst part is a shim will not do jack to 3rd axis and is a joke/slap in the face to charge over $150 or more for a sight and then send your customer a shim for 2nd axis adjustments!!! If thats some folks idea of quality and top notch customer service, better you than me, but il stick with a truly quality company that doesnt lie to their customers!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations. I was looking at single pins but I think I have changed my mind to sticking with the multi pin setup. I cant see having a big buck in front of me and setting the yardage then hoping he actually stops. With multi pin I have never had an issue as I just draw back, pick which pin I need and have at it!

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am doing research and just trying to find the right one. Being a left hander I cant really walk into a place and just pick one out and try it. Typically have to order it online :p

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm with you Neal. Things often happen VERY quickly...I want to be able to draw, pick a pin, and release fast when the situation arises.

·
Registered
21,374 Posts
After reading this thread,I put my HHA back on over the weekend and shot it all afternoon on saturday.I put the sword back on sunday morning and it's staying there.It's far better suited for hunting than a moveable pin sight.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I too have the Maxxis 35 and I put the HHA sight on it. I love the sight and also have one on my Switchback. For hunting I'll set the pin at 20 yards and shoot high or low if the deer doesn't want to cooperate.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have a toxonics and i love it. its super bright in low light conditions and is easy to adjust the pins. I would also recommend the trophy ridge sight. i like the vertical pins because when your at full draw and your looking through your peep sight you dont have all of the pins in your sight. you only have one vertical line that all the pins are in line with.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
fishkrane said:
I like the hha single pin sight ,plus it has a lifetime warranty
+1 for the HHA
And if you look in the For sale ads there's one there at a good price

1 - 20 of 20 Posts