The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys had an issue where I bumped my bow and my rest got moved. So took it to the shop to see my bow tech but he's on vacation but this other guy who I never saw before said he can help me. so anyway he said yeah the rest wasn't centered and he'd do it. So he did. He told me my left or right would just be off. So I came home set up my bag at 20 yards hitting way to the right. Adjust my sight again and again to the point where I'm maxed out to the right and still hitting to the right. So I think I know what to do but need some second opinions to make sure. I'm still new to this. So since I'm hitting to the right w my sight maxed to the right should I move the rest to the left?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you run your sight to the left you will continue to move your shot to the right. Move your sight the way your hitting. You should move your sight to the right but as you say your maxed out. Sounds like a rest issue to me though. If you have green on the forks your most likely getting contact from fletching (I'm assuming your fletching is green).

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
You need to move your rest out away from the riser. Put an arrow on your rest in the up position and take a measurement from the riser to the center of the arrow. Take note of the measurement and move it out 3/16 of an inch to start. Next sight your bow in for 20 yards. Now walk back tune to check your centershot. You can google walk back tuning for info, but basically pick a spot at the top of your target and using your 20 yard pin shoot one arrow. Then using your 20 yard pin only, shoot one arrow at 25, 30 and 35. Now see if your arrows are hitting straight in line down the target with the 20 yard arrow. If they are angling to the right down the target bump your rest out a little and walk back tune again until your arrows hit inline with the 20 yard arrow. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Forgot to mention when you walk back tune if you move your rest you will need to sight your 20 pin back in before your next walk back tune session.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks. Will try that hopefully tonight. These are the types of things I want to learn to do on my own rather then having to go to my tech for every little thing.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
A few years ago, when I really got serious about tuning my own equipment, I found this Arrow Mat Tuning target face. It's made of neoprene rubber, so it self seals. I place it on my target bag, and using a level, make sure the wide vertical stripe is plumb. Even if my sight isn't quite dead on at 20, there are smaller vertical lines every inch to go by when walk back tuning. My vision is bad. For me to look down the arrow shaft and align it with the middle of the riser is useless. I use 13/16th of an inch measure from the riser to the middle of the arrow to start. Then I sight in so that my 20 is pretty darn close. I aim at the top of the wide vertical strip for my 20 yard shots. Then do my walk back tune at 30 and 40. I try to shoot 4-5 arrows at each distance, leaving the arrows in the target. Then I move my rest and repeat, until my groups fall in a vertical line. Here is a link to the mat on Lancaster Archery.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/arrowmat-target-face-tuning.html

A lot of guys will make a plumb bob and suspend it from the top of the target using that as a vertical reference line. Both work fine, I could never find string when I needed it.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
If you whacked your bow hard enough to move a rest that should have been tightened down maybe you bent or moved your sight bracket also? I worked in a bow shop and always started at 13/16" as stated above. Alot of times no adjustment was needed.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
You need to move your rest out away from the riser. Put an arrow on your rest in the up position and take a measurement from the riser to the center of the arrow. Take note of the measurement and move it out 3/16 of an inch to start. Next sight your bow in for 20 yards. Now walk back tune to check your centershot. You can google walk back tuning for info, but basically pick a spot at the top of your target and using your 20 yard pin shoot one arrow. Then using your 20 yard pin only, shoot one arrow at 25, 30 and 35. Now see if your arrows are hitting straight in line down the target with the 20 yard arrow. If they are angling to the right down the target bump your rest out a little and walk back tune again until your arrows hit inline with the 20 yard arrow. Good Luck.
THIS ^

Remember, no matter what "tech" sets up your bow (or you), you MUST tune your bow. There is no magic formula or way for anyone to put on your rest and string loop and have them be dead on tuned. You need to shoot the bow using paper tune, walk back tune and broadhead tune. Some folks use one or the other or all three. All these methods show where your rest is off and allow you to make the small adjustments to get your arrows flying straight and true.

Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to do the walk back tune this weekend to make sure everything is good. I was always scared to mess with anything but I am getting a lot more comfortable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.