The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a $40 truglo four pin sight I have been using for well over a decade. With getting older my eyesight isn’t what it once was and my shooting has declined some because of it. Not trying to make it out that I am way off but I am definitely not as accurate as I was 5 years ago. Thinking of switching to a single pin sight. Having extra pins in the sight picture seem to be throwing me off a bit and under certain conditions I get a glare. Can anyone suggest a good sight ? What are the pros and cons of using a single pin ? I also welcome any suggestions other than a single pin sight. Looking to keep it under $150.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Which ever sight you decide on, make sure it has 0.010 pin. If you are looking to do any longer shooting such as 3D it is a must. The larger pin obscures bullseye.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
Everyone's perspective is different I went back and fourth between a single pin slider and a 3 pin fixed over the years but always went back to the 3 pin.I have a Black Gold single pin ascent sitting around collecting dust.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Which ever sight you decide on, make sure it has 0.010 pin. If you are looking to do any longer shooting such as 3D it is a must. The larger pin obscures bullseye.

Try using your pins the way you do a 6 oclock iron sight picture. Can use any size pin this way.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Try the new Tru Glo Range Rover Pro adjustable single dot sight. Has a 7 brightness adjustable illuminated dot in the center. Has around 80 different sight yardage tapes with it to be able to calibrate to nearly any bow out there.. I like the one I just got and the different brightness setting make it great from daylight till pitch black out... good luck

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I like the CBE sights / pins. The SL4 is a nice sight for the money. And with those sights, the .019 is fine for whatever you are shooting IMO.

As for the multiple pins, I recently had to add a verifier to my peep. The pins were getting blurry and looking very large. Making the pin gap look closer than it was.

If you want to step up a notch, the TL3 is a movable multiple pin sight...best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I've been using HHA single slider sights for almost 20 years now and I like them. I have an Optima Lite on my Heli M and a Kingpin Lite on my Vertix. Of course it's personal preference.

Reactions: steelhead125

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I prefer the HHA single .010 pin in the 2 inch housing for deer. The 2 inch housing gives you more fiber optics, a larger field of view and aligns better in a 1/4 peep for hunting. Single pins aren't for everyone and you have to know your bow and how to hold in situations when a deer is moving. Been using one for years and always set mine at 25 yards or 20 in some set ups and have never had to move it to kill a deer. If you set it at 25 yards that will take care of any deer that's under your tree to 35 yards or so without moving it and that's 99% of your shoots in Pa. Anything longer than that I would use a range finder on the deer and move the pin accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I prefer the HHA single .010 pin in the 2 inch housing for deer. The 2 inch housing gives you more fiber optics, a larger field of view and aligns better in a 1/4 peep for hunting. Single pins aren't for everyone and you have to know your bow and how to hold in situations when a deer is moving. Been using one for years and always set mine at 25 yards or 20 in some set ups and have never had to move it to kill a deer. If you set it at 25 yards that will take care of any deer that's under your tree to 35 yards or so without moving it and that's 99% of your shoots in Pa. Anything longer than that I would use a range finder on the deer and move the pin accordingly.
That’s how I set mine for hunting too. Have never had to move it while hunting.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I changed to a single pin, vertical, fixed sight in 2009. I don't shoot 3D. Just shoot down off my deck and go hunting. I find it much less complicated. I hunt mountain sides and benches, most shots are close. I know my bow and my limitations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts