The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of my daily excursions with my pup are in a park or park like settings right now due to young wildlife disturbance issues.
My question is does allowing / encouraging Dublin's pointing of songbirds do any harm? Any help? He loves it, and many times the robins are scent pointed before being sighted but I'm worried about ingraining the creep, flush and chase thing. Should I be? Any help appreciated!

PS.....good news is last night as he pointed one near a field edge a bunny flushed right there and Dub never broke pointing the robin.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
do nothing
don't encourage or discourage
its something all pups do ,most outgrow it once they figure out what birds your after.
for now let the pup do what a pup will do

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..walked a game lands for an hour this afternoon and he routed a couple pheasants out of a weed field and some oats very well. But then there was one between us as he returned, saw it almost at my feet.......he picked up that scent and followed it as it wandered thru the oats but quit on it after a bit when it hit some thick stuff......near the end of our walk of about an hour so I'm hoping it was just because of the heat and dryness and his age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts