The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of adding a sight light to my Bow.
The Lamps just aren't as goo as they used to be, sight pin is not real definitive looking through the Peep.
Shooting a single pin system with a bright green fibre optic pin.
Every light I looked at is either purple or blue except for the Spot Hogg (white) but it didn't get very good reviews.
My concern is how well the Green pin will illuminate with a blue or purple light.
Anyone using one of these?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have the TRUGLO® Carbon Hybrid Micro Five-Pin Bow-Sight on my bow now. I wouldn't go back to a sight without a light. Its one of the best additions to a bow IMO.

The LED is blue and it does not affect the sight pin colors. It only make them bright...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This will be my first year using a light. I turned it on and couldn't believe the difference it made. Probably won't ever hunt without one.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Ever shoot one of the techno shoots? Dark inside with only a black light above you. All pins glow as if they were lighted. It will work. And you don't want your sight so bright everything beyond it is blacked out.
Single pin HHA with rheostat. I lose the ground long before my pin!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The blue light will light up a green pin a lot better than a red pin. My 20 pin is green, 30 is red, 40 is green. I can very clearly see the green over the red by a long shot... good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but I use a single green pin on my bow for archery hunting. I don't shoot in the dark; however, on occasion I have been stuck in a tree long after dark waiting for feeding deer to leave and have looked through my sight out of curiosity.
I can easily see the pin when I can no longer can detect the body on a deer much less pick a spot for a sure kill.

I would think a light on the sight would make a halo effect which would make it more difficult to see past the sight to see a dark colored target in the dark.

I can easily see my green pin under any weather conditions or time of the day I have hunted to date and I often sit for all day hunts.

What am I missing? What is the advantage?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If you can see the pin but can't see the spot on the animal for a good ethical shot then the light is of no advantage. That being said I don't have a lighted sight but my Black Gold pins stay plenty bright in low light. I am sure there are situations where it all comes together and a lighted site would be the ticket in that moment. Light or lack of can be funny sometimes in the woods. I have thought of getting a lighted sight, maybe you folks can convince or dissuade me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts