The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure its not a concept unheard of to the veterans on here. I just figured at one point or another Native Americans..traveling..or for whatever reason sheltered underneath such places. Maybe due to being caught in a storm. Im assuming to pass the time go to work on some tool or another and possibly left something behind. Well I actually only tried this at one location. Spent a few hours digging and sifting. Not an easy task due to the small flake-like material. The one thing I did find was a perfect fire ring easily 1 1/2 ft deep or more. Rocks in a circular form with burn marks on the center. I simply covered back up and left it alone. I know of numerous formations like this and what I would consider mini caves. Anyone try this? Any luck at it. Just wondering if it was worth my time. Most locations I know of are very near to water sources. Thanks

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I've seen alot of those hunting out west. You can usually see the smoke stain on the upper rocks. Behind waterfalls also there is often shelter area. I was once told there is a foot of overburden for every thousand years in a shelter, I have no idea if thats true or not.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Are you into sifting?....Get a shovel, dig and sift around some of the islands in the river when the water level is down..Can be very rewarding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It may be against the law to excavate a rock shelter in Pennsylvania. I would have to check the current laws. You have to have permission to excavate an open site at the very least. If you dig and are not a professional Archaeologist you will be destroying all the information from that site forever. If it's arrowheads you want then get permission to walk in a corn field next to a river or stream. Then record what you find with the state. They will send you a site #. Your arrowheads will be three times as valuable if that's what your after. Please do not destroy a rock shelter site they are stratified sites that contain a wealth of information to the "trained professional".

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I agree, and I don't think that such an overhang would be a mecca for finding arrowheads...I had very good luck sifting around river islands when I was younger, made a giant screen and would keep shoveling mud from the river bottom...Some days did good, some not, but perseverance pays....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts