The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ride at Sidling Hill ATV Trail?

My girlfriend and I went up this past week and couldn't believe the amount of work DCNR did on the trails.

Take a look:

This is the trail that runs along the ridge. It used to be grown in and getting to the point only 1 ATV would fit through in spots.

Also on the ridge

We like going there because it's not used as much as Michaux.

We get to see wildlife there.

Some isn't that great to see......

It seems to me that we have pretty good state land for ATV recreation compared to other states.

Forgive the photo's they are from a cellphone.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
- not sure where this one is at- could you help me out- it looks like a nice trail-- the wife and i are looking for trails to ride since she is a beginner- dont want to take her on anything too hard first time out-

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to give directions.

I live in Chambersburg and travel 30 west. You go past McConnellsburg while traveling on 30. You go until you see route 915. Turn right onto 915 and go towards Wells Tannery.
Turn Left onto Cove Road. You will travel short distance and see the Wells Tannery post office. Turn left onto the road beside the post office. You will travel down past the park and then the road will start up hill. The road turns into a dirt road. Once you are on the dirt road it is a short distance. The parking lot is on the left.
If you have a GPS here is some info from DCNR and at the bottom a link to their map.

Trail Head GPS location: N 40° 5' 0.28 W 78° 10' 12.17"
Contact: Buchanan State Forest, 440 Buchanan Trail, McConnellsburg, PA 17233.
Phone: (717) 485-3148
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/Maps/SH_ATV_4-04.pdf

It isn't a long trail but it's usually nice riding. There is one rocky section but not too bad at all.

When you are sitting in the first parking lot the main part of the trail is at the lot but there is also more trail accross the road that you drove in on. It leads through some updated trails, and some older, to the second parking lot.

This would be a good trail for new riders. There will be a few challenges for new riders but nothing extreme at all.

We like to ride it some times during the night. Very interesting.

I hope this helps.

Here is a link to all the DCNR trails in PA

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/atvindex.aspx

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Went back overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning. (We ride at night some) They have been running dump trucks on the roads they have been working on and they are getting poor already. They are also using a bull doser still and making some sections on the ridge rather rough until tey fix it. With the rain we have had it seems that some of the dirt has washed out of the new rock and it is getting really rough again.

The part of the trail that is on the other side of the road from the first parking lot, is really really getting rough. It's like riding on a washboard.

Some of the trail hasn't been touched and is getting grown in somewhat.

I am truely amazed at the time and money that they must be spending on the trails and I'm not sure when they will be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts