The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a 12 ga double barrel side by side for hunting, sporting clays and possibly cowboy action shooting.

Right now, I can only afford about $300.

Can I get a decent side by side for that price? I stopped at dicks and saw a Stoeger for about $300 new.

I don;t plan on putting more that 5-600 rounds thru it per year.

Can I get a decent gun used for under $300?

I'd like to get into the sporting clays and do some upland hunting with it this year if possible. But If I have to spend closer to $500, it will be next year for sure. On a very limited income.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
"Can I get a decent gun used for under $300?"

I doubt it (although you may get lucky). Maybe a low end Stevens 311...but even "cheap" used (Savage Fox B Models) are going for $500+ from what I've seen. I can understand your situation. The Stoeger may be your best bet for $300. Good luck.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Do some research before you buy anything?

That is all the advice I can give you. $300 is on the very very very low end in the world of side by sides.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I got a used Remington Spartan for around $300. I traded a Stoeger on it and after shooting the two I think the Stoeger is a nicer gun to shoot.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have a Baikal in 20 ga. Not the prettiest but a lot of pheasants have fallen to it.

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
Same here and I don't have any concerns about its looks or how I treat it in the woods. It's a rough gun and rough treatment is not an issue. However, I have heard that it's not easy to find a gunsmith to make repairs.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I recently got a Ithica/SKB for $500. They are sweet doubles for sure. Very light weight and a pleasure to carry.
I had the Spartan and hated it. It had the double triggers and often fired both barrels at the same time with a pull of the front trigger.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
arrowhead said:
It had the double triggers and often fired both barrels at the same time with a pull of the front trigger.
WoW! My old O/U has double triggers and it never did that!

It says something about quality of the spartan when a 72 yr old, well used, US made shotgun still functions like a new gun.

I've had the opportunity to shoot clays w/ a selective trigger O/U and could not get used to it after all the years of feeling which trigger I wanted to use...my rear trigger is the top barrel w/ the tighter choke...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a Rem SPR model 220 H made by Bakiel in Russia for Remington in a 12 ga double barrel with working hammers on it about 2 yrs ago & paid apx $537.00 MIB a great gun for field use & for Bunnies

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I had a spanish made double 10 gauge that fired off both barrels on me once. My arm actually went numb! And I had a double stevens 12 gauge many moons ago that I traded off after only one week of shooting in small game season. Half the time it wouldn't pop the empty out of the chamber after firing, and the safety would hang up and prevent it from firing occasionally. Never been a big SXS fan. I'll take an over under any day. But to find either one for 3 bills is going to be a chore.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think I have decided on a STOEGER UPLANDER 12Ga Side by Side with 26 in barrels and screw in chokes. After calling all over Eastern PA, I found a place that has them NEW for $325!

Stoeger Uplander

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have Stoeger uplander in 20 Ga for about 10 years or so... will not turn peoples heads but has killed lots of bunnies and grouse over the years. I feel it shots and works well for the money
Good luck

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have an old Baker Batavia Special in 16ga thay was my Pap's. We have shot a lot of birds and bunnies
with this gum, Looks rough, but is what an older gun that has huntrd a lot should look like.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fearnot4ME said:
I have Stoeger uplander in 20 Ga for about 10 years or so... will not turn peoples heads but has killed lots of bunnies and grouse over the years. I feel it shots and works well for the money
Good luck
Yeah, the finish and checkering is not the greatest, but as long as it shoots well, I won't care one bit!

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I hear Bakiel makes nice two barrel guns and are inexpensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts