The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in 4A and have seen 4 sick deer all of which I'm certain had EHD(blue tongue), standing around in a daze, emaciated and slobbering profusely. Just curious if anyone else is seeing any?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Look around streams and ponds , that where you will find the deer dead if they have EHD . We had it hit us hard in certain spots around Pymi last year , we lost a lot of deer .

·
Registered
13,037 Posts
That is how they act. Their eyes can look black and lost as well. I met a guy(in 4A) that got one in archery a couple years ago like that and it acted like a zombie deer and just stood there. It was checked. It had CWD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fulton county, no report....never had luck with the GC. My brother wanted to call and I told him to not waste his time.

·
Registered
19,842 Posts
I'm in 4A and have seen 4 sick deer all of which I'm certain had EHD(blue tongue), standing around in a daze, emaciated and slobbering profusely.
If the deer are emaciated probably not EHD. Once infected with EHD, they die fast so they don't have much time to lose that much muscle mass. Usually within 1-3 days.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a real bad poaching issue one year, gave them a secluded vantage point to catch the culprits one time and they told us they didn't have time to watch, they told us to keep an ear out and when we heard the shooting to call...... I said, excuse me me sir, but when the shooting starts its done too late. That's when I was finished with the GC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the deer are emaciated probably not EHD. Once infected with EHD, they die fast so they don't have much time to lose that much muscle mass. Usually within 1-3 days.
Deer with cwd don't stand around slobbering everywhere either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, I'm not much on deer hunting to start with....I do it because my son enjoys it. Not looking to start a fight or looking to be battered, just simply an observation. I'm out!

·
Registered
19,842 Posts
Not looking to start a fight or looking to be battered, just simply an observation. I'm out!
Neither was anybody else. I was just saying that deer infected with EHD die very quickly and usually do not have time to lose muscle mass.

·
Super Moderator
14,556 Posts
And the deer that were slobbering hung around for 10-14 days..... im not a biologist just a redneck living in the country observing my surroundings.
If you really cared to find the REAL answer to the question of what was wrong with the deer you would have called the Game Commission so they could at least try to find the answer to your question. After all no one else is going to examine the deer and determine much about it.

People making guesses at what it might be doesn't get very far toward an accurate diagnoses or correcting any potential future problems or concerns.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
24,135 Posts
years ago i spotted a doe that looked like it was going to drop over dead. this was in cambridge springs. this deer had all kinds of gunk around its eyes, could hardly move, was walking real slow with its head hanging down, some ribs were visible, it just looked "dead".
it was archery season and out of range. i called the PGC and a warden called me back. he said if i see it again to try my best to kill it, leave it alone and call back so they could take it and test it.
never saw it again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts