The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you really want to learn the right way you should join either the East and or the West Pa mushroom club... I do belong to the Eastern one.However I hae been thinking about joining the Western club too..
they have monthly meeting in the winter.. You really don't have to attend every meeting but they do have someone give training on certain things about shrooming. The remaining seasons they have a monthly foray and you go out into the woods for about 1 1/2 hours then return to the parking lot. You dump your shrooms on the table and they tell you if they are edible, poison, and or not edible.. You actually tag along with some seasoned members to on the forays and they will tell you things as you look... The foray are also open to the public.. So you can tag along and not join the club.. However in the Spring you have to be a member then because they take you to places that have the Morel mushroom.. Cost for a family to join is $20.00. they even have a big foray certain times of the years. If you desire you can stay at a college campus, eat the food there and learn and go on forays too. They also have a picnic in the summer and all the food is made from wild mushrooms.. The name of the two clubs in Pa are:: The Eastern Pa Mushroom Association.. In the west The Western Pa Mushroom Association.. I'm going to find their web sites and post that info on replies to the original post.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
springfreak normally the Western would hold Forays up the entire side of Western Pa. so you might not be able to make meetings in Pittsburgh there should be times when they will hold foray for members in your area of Pa..

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone knows of other mushroom clubs in your area could you please post the info on this post... Main thing is to join a club it doesn't have to be the main East and West of Pa club...You want to learn.. I do know of a group I heard of that meets at Luzerne County Community College near Naticoke, Pa..I know they meet at the college once a month and do go on forays at Francis Slocum State Park..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts