The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I kind of doubt this qualifies as an "edible", but I don't plan on picking anyways. I was just curious about the I.D. and haven't had any luck scouting internet sites myself. It was growing at the base of an oak, if that helps? http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/trapperzeke/P1000840.jpg[/img]]Shroom
On a side note, I also found a giant puffball a short distance from here. I don't normally take a chance picking shrooms, as I don't have a great deal of experience in ID, but that one made it to the frying pan.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have always called those jack o lanterns which are supposed to be poisonous. Then again I have found that some of the mushrooms that I thought I knew I really didn't. Someone else will chime in here.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're probably right. The pics I saw of Omphalotus illudens on some sites were more flattened/vase shaped so I had ruled it out, but I just did an image search alone based on your guess and found pics more on-the-nose.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I overheard this "tongue-in-cheek" comment while sitting on Hawk Mountain's North Lookout today.

And, I quote, "All wild mushrooms are edible,.......ONCE!

I garnered from that piece of "knowledge", one thing. Know, ABSOLUTELY, what your are harvesting. Study it thoroughly, find an expert on the subject, study it further, find another expert, and finally, serve the mushrooms to a willing volunteer! That is a joke, of course.

I'll stick with the ones Mrs. Berks brings home from GIANT!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.