The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so can anyone tell me if these are Boletus bicolor(Two colored bolete)? From the field guide I have and everything I've found online, I believe they are. There's just a small part of me that isn't sure. There is another bolete that looks very much like this one, but is supposed to stain blue immediately after it is bruised. The two colored is supposed to also stain blue, but slowy. In this case, slowly means within 10 seconds. When I touch the underside of the cap firmly with my finger, there is a slight discoloration, and then it begins to turn blue. Within 10 seconds there is a prominate blue spot, but it's not "immediate". The stalks and caps turn color more slowly. Am I safe? If needed, I can take a short video of the bruising and color turning if that would help.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The ones I have found that bruise fast are usually like a orange like color on top and yellow underneath. They turn blue/black real fast when touched.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How fast is real fast? Thats the part I'm unsure of,

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
I'm not a Bolete picker, but bottom line is... don't eat it. Not worth it. If your only ID method is determining whether 10 seconds is "slow enough" to turn Blue, then.....

No stinkin mushroom is good enough to risk how sick they may make you if unsure of ID. Now if that was a vat of something that taste like Lobster....

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, I'm not planning on eating anyhting I'm unsure of. That's why I asked. But the field guide I have, and online sources all say the same thing. The two boletes look exactly alike. The only way to tell them apart is how fast the turn blue. Immediately for one, and within 10 seconds for the other. The ones I have start slowly turing blue right after I touch them, but aren't dark blue until around 8 seconds. That's where the hang up is. When I get home, I'll post a video of mine turning colors.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
...... not to mention. EVERY Bolete, even fresh, that I've cut the cap on, have little white larvae type bugs wiggling around. I'll pass.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I can see your concerns...Of the two you talked about one is edible and the other is not recommended...My gut feeling I think it's the non edible bolete..The Summer Redcap aka Boletus fraternus. The edible one takes awhile to bruise. The non edible bruises immediately. I'm looking at the pictures of both in different field guides. I think it's the non edible one based on the spore color and stem coloration.. the one that doesn't bruise easily yellow pores are not as yellow as the one in your picture.. Based on this I think you found the nonedible variety...

Bolete are a good family for new shroomer to pick...If you can find some without the bugs in like someone already posted to.. Remember this about boletes. If the pores are RED it's probably poison.. So never ever eat any bolete with red pores or red gills.. This particular variety just happens to be one thats not edible that does not have the red gills...Sure is a beautiful mushroom but I wouldn't eat it!!! I know you already said you were not going to eat anyway..Good for you.. I think you made the right choice..

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
A shroomer can't have enought books... The above shrooms that were referenced.. I had to look for info on the one in the National Audubon Socirty Field Guide..That was the edible one... The non edible I found in the Peterson Mushroom Field Guide... If I may suggest...always cross reference your finds in numerous mushroom field guides.. Just don't just use one book..I must have about 7 or 8 different mushroom field guides that I use to ID mushrooms..
Remember always cross reference the shroom in mulitple books.. Thank you for sharing such an outstanding picture. Wow again beautiful mushroom but it's just not edible.. It's not poison either it's just not recommended to be eaten. when this occurs mycologist are not sure if it's poison or not..
The only smart shroomer is the live ones.. Keep up the good work! I like how you question the brusing thing.. I would say if it's 10 seconds to bruise.. This is fast and that proves it's the non edible mushroom...

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
going to try the video again....click on the image and let it load a few seconds...would appreciate it if someone would let me know if it plays for them or not..

how fast is fast?...how about instant bruising..

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ripn, the video works. It worked for me the 1st time you posted it also. Mine didn't go that fast, but they were blue before 10 seconds, so I just pitched them and fried up a batch of sulfer shelfs I found. They were quite tasty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts