The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We are putting in a fiberglass/acrylic shower pan then we are going to tile the shower walls. What is the proper way to waterproof everything? Right now the walls are down to the studs. I am going to install the pan, which mounts directly to the studs. Then the concrete backer board. Lastly I will tile the walls.

1. Should I put I waterproof membrane under the shower pan and partially up the wall?

2. Is the backer board supposed to over lap the flange of the shower pan? If so, that would mean I would have to shim the studs out to ensure the wall is flat to make up for the thickness of the pan flange. If the backer board is supposed to stop above the flange, how do I water proof the gap between the pan flange and the bottom of the backerboard?

3. How to I waterproof the backerboard?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Build out the walls and overlap the flange, but keep backer board from resting on the pan. leave a gap. Install the backer board and tape seams & corners with mesh tape and thin mortar, much like dywall. If you can afford it, apply the waterproof membrane on walls. If not, I don't believe it's absolutely necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts