The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Al is retiring from the Michigan DNR after being a biologist for 50 years, not sure how many were with the DNR. Al would be considered the most knowledgeable person right now on grouse and woodcock, and also did considerable work with turkey in Michigan. I got to meet and talk to Al about 8 years back when they had the woodcock wingbee at Bald Eagle SP where he was there to study wings along with being the speaker at their annual dinner.

Al has been promoting our sport and hunting in Michigan, being on different outdoor shows. He always started his hunts with a toast to the birds with apple cider, with a reminder that even if you didnt bag any birds, it was always a good day hunting with friends. On one of the episodes he shoots a true pair of woodcock.

Being in his 70's, AL is hoping to keep hunting with his setters for another 10 years. While I dont have his knowledge or quality bird dogs, Hopefully I can keep hunting as long Al. Happy retirement Al.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Al is quite the gentleman, sportsman and biologist.
Met him several times and shared a meal with him in MI at the woodcock banders training.
He has a lifetime of stories to share.
Missed out on hunting with him and Steve Smith by a couple of days several years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts