The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post in the forum so please let me know if I do something wrong. I've been archery hunting, going on my 3rd year now. I love this type of hunting as it opens the seasons up more and it's not a guarantee. So the other week, I took a shot at a younger buck, 6pt. He was hot in the trail of a doe about 20 mins after the sun came up. I shot low with the first shot. He didn't see me so he walked to my right then turned around to look for the doe when I took a second shot. He was standing broadside and he seemed to not even be fazed by the second shot. Did I miss? I see a small amount of blood running down his front left leg but not enough to say it's a confirmed hit. It seemed to come from just under the pit area. He hopped off into the woods after looking around for a few seconds. I decided to take a look for my arrows since I saw one and was running low in the quiver. When I went down, I noticed some blood on the leaf by the second shot. Did I actually get him? Was it a grazing wound or a legit shot? I found the arrow from my first shot and the 2nd. The arrow on the second had the tip of the arrow broken off but the shaft of the arrow was perfectly fine. No blood along the shaft either which had me a bit perplexed. I saw the deer about an hour later, moving slowly but without a limp or signs of fatigue about 75-100 yards from me, no doe in sight. I waited about 2 hours total and decided to take a look around to see if it dropped. Blood looked a little promising at first but faded quickly. About 75 yards away it was one drop of blood and nothing else to follow up to that point. I was disappointed but in a way relieved that the deer had a chance to survive, I hope, so I can see it again during the season. Does anyone think that the deer was critically wounded and would this most likely have been a shoulder shot? The tip of the arrow was broken but no blood on the shaft or "feathers." The minimal blood and the fact I saw him still moving about an hour after shooting had be think he was doing just fine.

What bothers me is 1) I didn't get him and 2) I would have wounded a deer to only have him die later? Sadly, I already had an incident where I took a shot, ended up being a gut shot and never found the deer after 2 days of searching. I didn't want this to happen again. I know that i'm still relatively new to this and calming down before I take my shot is being worked on. Hopefully I can still fill the freezer before the rut ends or the season ends. I'm in 5D hunting on private land so I have until January i think. I look forward to hearing feedback good or bad to help pick up some pointers and hear others stories. ***How do I post pics on this forum or does that come with time?***

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
From your description, I'd be pretty sure you didn't hit his shoulder. Because of denser muscle and bone, a shoulder hit deer usually reacts when hit, sometimes the energy of the arrow " pushes" the deer sideways. There is almost alway a crack sound when the arrow impacts. And many times the arrow doesn't completely pass through.

My guess is you caught the bottom of the brisket. That usually leaves some hair. A deer would most certainly survive a hit there. Further back, your into the belly. Odds of survival to a deer hit there....not so good. Almost always fatal.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
From what I read into your story, probably that buck will live,You never said how far the shot was taken from. You may have hit the brisket or just grazed him. Was there any white hair on the ground ,that would be an indication of possibly a low hit..You may still see that buck again....Let me tell you my story, maybe it will ease your pain....

I hit a nice 9pt one time in the neck, found my arrow broken and blood on it, trailed it for about 80 yds and lost the blood trail.I felt really bad that I did not recover that buck, I was sure he would not survive,6 weeks later on the last Friday of rifle season my buddy shot that buck. It had my broken arrow stilled lodged in his neck, my friend cut his finger on it when he reached up in there to cut the windpipe.It is mounted on his wall in his game room with the bump still in it`s neck......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I read into your story, probably that buck will live,You never said how far the shot was taken from. You may have hit the brisket or just grazed him. Was there any white hair on the ground ,that would be an indication of possibly a low hit..You may still see that buck again....Let me tell you my story, maybe it will ease your pain....

I hit a nice 9pt one time in the neck, found my arrow broken and blood on it, trailed it for about 80 yds and lost the blood trail.I felt really bad that I did not recover that buck, I was sure he would not survive,6 weeks later on the last Friday of rifle season my buddy shot that buck. It had my broken arrow stilled lodged in his neck, my friend cut his finger on it when he reached up in there to cut the windpipe.It is mounted on his wall in his game room with the bump still in it`s neck......

That's funny and sad all at once. At least you got to see where it went and have a story to talk about with it. I hope that it comes back around and to the question, there was no hair left in the area. The shot was around 25 yds I'm guessing. I admit that I shot a hair early thinking it was about to get spooked. My stupidity but my eye was really on the 10 pt i saw around on the cam. He only comes around at about 1130 at night though which is disappointing. The rut makes them doing crazy stuff though.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would advise getting a rangefinder and then there won't be any more "I think it was about 25 yrds.". Range trees and land marks once in your stand and if time allows the actual deer. You can shoot a lot more confidently when you know how far.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I would advise getting a rangefinder and then there won't be any more "I think it was about 25 yrds.". Range trees and land marks once in your stand and if time allows the actual deer. You can shoot a lot more confidently when you know how far.
Like he said. I know it happens and people do shoot deer that cannot be recovered and i am not being rude when i say this but my suggestion would be to practice shooting as much as you can. Sounds like the buck should recover from his wounds. Good luck the rest of the season.

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
I'd also suggest, if you haven't already.....get illuminated nocks. They really make it a lot more clear where your shot went. It's very, very visible as to where the arrow landed.

And...when you get that pass-through double lunger...... it's pretty cool to watch the lit nock streak to the target, blink off when it's inside the deer, and then re-emerge. I shot my buck last fall at the very start of shooting hours that day, and it was like a tracer round from a war movie......was startling to see in the dim light, actually.

Best of luck...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to check them out. Always saw them but never used them, possibly because my brother and law and I had our own idea for an arrow system ha ha. Are they expensive? For the range finder, I agree one might be useful in a new hunting area but I have a good idea on the distances there based on the tee locations. I'm just not sure the exact measurement lol.

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
Get an RF and you'll be amazed how many of your good ideas aren't. :)

I can usually judge distance to +/- 1 or 2 yards inside of about 40. BUT.....terrain, light, weather, etc...they all mess with that. Murphy loves to show up in the hunting woods. Regularly. If it can go wrong, it will...Murphy sees to that. That tree you're sure is 25 could be 30 or 35 because it might be thicker than you think, but you think you're seeing a skinnier tree at 25, not a thicker one at 35. Or something else like that. I carry an RF constantly. Even if I already have ranged landmarks and don't need to do it again, it's also very handy for finding the spot your animal stood when you shot.

You shoot...animal runs. You check landmarks, then get down and those landmarks don't look the same. Before getting down, you range the spot. Now go to where you think you should, range back to your stand. Not the same distance? You're not in the right place. I've used this quite a few times to get me where I needed to be to check for blood. If you have a smart phone and want to be really sure, use the phone's compass...get a bearing on the spot the animal was, and a range. Now invert that bearing and get to the same range and presto, you're where the animal stood for the shot.

Ok, that aside, I use Nockturnals for my nocks. I want to say they're about 10 bucks a piece. They're worth it. Every penny. Finding your arrow is critical information in assessing the outcome of the shot. Knowing where it went into the animal is also critical. They help you be much more certain of where the shot REALLY hit, and in finding your arrow after the shot.

Would it be worth 10 bucks to you right now to KNOW where you hit that deer? I bet it would. Think of it in that context.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I hope that was not the extent of your search for that deer? You can not just throw in the towel and give up after 100 yards. Grid search, use toilet paper to mark blood to identify direction of travel etc to help point next blood. Get a friend to help loom . If he was moving slow...he is hit.
I'm a bit sad to hear that you said you were really after that other bigger deer. If that was the case, why did you shoot at this one? Now there is a deer we know is hit in some capacity, but it seems like you've given up on it already and are thinking about the big one. You owe it to that deer to put forth a concerted effort to find it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I hope that was not the extent of your search for that deer? You can not just throw in the towel and give up after 100 yards. Grid search, use toilet paper to mark blood to identify direction of travel etc to help point next blood. Get a friend to help loom . If he was moving slow...he is hit.
I'm a bit sad to hear that you said you were really after that other bigger deer. If that was the case, why did you shoot at this one? Now there is a deer we know is hit in some capacity, but it seems like you've given up on it already and are thinking about the big one. You owe it to that deer to put forth a concerted effort to find it.
Well said. Totally agree. Respect for the animal you hunt is first and foremost. One of the greatest lessons a hunter needs to learn is, it's ok to let the animal walk if there is doubt you can not make a lethal shot. Even then, things can and do go wrong so....when in doubt....don't shoot!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
For the range finder, I agree one might be useful in a new hunting area but I have a good idea on the distances there based on the tee locations. I'm just not sure the exact measurement lol.

Thanks guys

Really not trying to pile on here, but hunting deer with archery tackle is a precision sport. There is enough going on at the time of the shot w/o misjudging the distance by even a few yards.

And as far as "working on" calming down at the time of the shot, I can tell you from personal experience, THAT may never happen.

Seriously, good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well said. Totally agree. Respect for the animal you hunt is first and foremost. One of the greatest lessons a hunter needs to learn is, it's ok to let the animal walk if there is doubt you can not make a lethal shot. Even then, things can and do go wrong so....when in doubt....don't shoot!
So i understand what you are saying and maybe it was the fact we are reading and not speaking directly to each other but I did not just dismiss a deer that I thought I shot. I spent half a day looking for him. The blood trail ended so I started a arcing search with another person. Neither of us found another drop of blood. I initially thought I didn't even hit him because there was not a cracking sound and he barely was phased by it. It was only when I went down for my arrow that I found, what I thought was a fair amount of blood which was about 4-5" around on a leaf. :surprise2:

I think what happened is that he was injured before me even seeing him at first. Not sure if it was from another hunter or from him stumbling over rocks and branches to get his girl, idk. Nothing added up to me on what I saw on the leaf compared to what I saw when I shot. Sometimes it's a a matter of an inch or two in one direction that stops it from being a kill shot and this is what I thought happened. Maybe I grazed him maybe I didn't but I was going solely off what I saw on the ground, not the combination of deer reaction and what I saw. This past weekend I believe I found him on the cam. Looks like the same markings as the one I shot at and there were no buzzards or animal activity days after so I'm pretty confident he lived to see another day. My stand is very open and the shot I had was clear, but like I said i thought my new archery, new season nerves got me. In reality, I was just off which has been corrected on my sight. I just wish I did a periodic test shot earlier in the season, before that day.

Thanks for the input though, never hurts to be reminded of what I already practice. Respect is a big thing when I hunt. I don't just shoot and hope for the best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts