The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I am not interested in pictures found on the internet from some other state.

I want those in Pennsylvania that are claiming coyotes are killing healthy adult deer to post some pictures, evidence of it happening. Will there be a few pictures? Probably. One that appears to have been a coyote kill has already showed up. But, the fact is if it were happening with anything close to as frequently as some of you profess there should be several pictures posted every day, but so far there has been one in the past week or so.

I know you can post pictures because I saw where you posted a picture of a rabbit hunt not so long ago. So, you can't use that I don't know story.

Dick Bodenhorn
That is not an accurate statement, I did not post that, some one posted that for me. As I said I get help, for pictures. I gave them the picture and they posted for me, stick to the honest facts, do not assume.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ya I could have used wolves...and didn't for the fact that all dogs carry 99% wolf DNA...even chihuahuas ....hyenas are a bit more impressive for the fact they kill to eat....wolves kill just to kill.
My point is coyotes don`t kill the number of adult deer that people on here insist ...every dead deer thats chewed up or down to the bones wasn't killed by a yote. And coyote crap with deer fur was't because it killed a deer.
What is the number that people are insisting are killed? I do not think I saw anyone give an actual number. Did I miss that somewhere?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Maybe the experts can tell us exactly how many deer are killed by predators, until you have that number we are all just giving an opinion. I can not give a exact number, so maybe some one else who thinks they know the honest answer will come forward.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Yes you have missed it.
You've been on here a while...so you know what the deal is..just go through all the threads about coyotes vs deer for the past 11 you've been on this forum.

This thread started in 2014...that should be a good start for you.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Kind of the answer I expected, so maybe someone can give the number of deer actually killed by coyotes, some guys on here seem to say they have great knowledge on these coyotes, I have been thru posts and have yet to see numbers on coyote kill numbers on mature deer. Hard to argue either way without accurate information. My opinion is coyotes kill mature deer when ever they feel like it and the opportunity arises. Fawn they eat when they find one and feel like killing it.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Kind of the answer I expected, so maybe someone can give the number of deer actually killed by coyotes, some guys on here seem to say they have great knowledge on these coyotes, I have been thru posts and have yet to see numbers on coyote kill numbers on mature deer. Hard to argue either way without accurate information. My opinion is coyotes kill mature deer when ever they feel like it and the opportunity arises. Fawn they eat when they find one and feel like killing it.
Surely everyone capable of logical thought process knows that the number of adult deer killed by coyotes is constantly changing from area to area and year to year based a wide range of variables. Most years those variables are going to be mostly influenced by the snow conditions.

No one can give anyone a definitive answer on how many deer coyotes kill in any given year, nor should they need to.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Did anyone mention PSU study of after hunting season 95% survival rate of adult deer? How many deer could yotes possibly be taking if 95% survive? That includes all mortality, road kills, disease, etc. Coyotes have to be an awfully small number of kills.

Reactions: yellodog

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Surely everyone capable of logical thought process knows that the number of adult deer killed by coyotes is constantly changing from area to area and year to year based a wide range of variables. Most years those variables are going to be mostly influenced by the snow conditions.

No one can give anyone a definitive answer on how many deer coyotes kill in any given year, nor should they need to.

Dick Bodenhorn
[/QUO
Not much to say, as some on here, me included say coyotes do kill mature healthy deer, we have others saying not in the numbers we are we are insisting. My point was I never saw anyone who thinks coyotes are killing these deer, say how many. And no body on the predator hugger side giving a number either. Their are no definite answers, so maybe coyotes do not impact deer numbers and maybe they do. However each deer they kill is a decrease in deer numbers, at the time, if reproduction does not make up for the loss, over time, herd numbers can drop.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Nvmd. Can't believe I got caught up in 'predators' again.

Reactions: RyanR and bohunr

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd say coyotes kill 1 deer per acre per day. Then they eat 5 road kill deer per acre per day. Maybe even 5.6748 deer per day. Hard to tell with all my data that I have collected.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'd say coyotes kill 1 deer per acre per day. Then they eat 5 road kill deer per acre per day. Maybe even 5.6748 deer per day. Hard to tell with all my data that I have collected.
There we go the first person to put a number out there. Next you will have to get those photos that others have ordered.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
There we go the first person to put a number out there. Next you will have to get those photos that others have ordered.
You are too easy. There is no way he's being serious.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You are too easy. There is no way he's being serious.
I know that, there are not even that many deer in PA. I would have just called him a liar, but he came up with an exaggeration, I believe his numbers show that no one knows how many deer are really killed. It is all opinion right now. He was off by a few, but his sarcastic answer, was the only guess.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I know that, there are not even that many deer in PA. I would have just called him a liar, but he came up with an exaggeration, I believe his numbers show that no one knows how many deer are really killed. It is all opinion right now. He was off by a few, but his sarcastic answer, was the only guess.
Statistically insignificant number.

Reactions: yellodog

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have no idea how many deer coyotes kill but I know I have opened up the stomachs of coyotes I trapped in Pa and found deer hair more than once.Allmost all the coyote droppings I see has deer hair in it so I think they kill some.Maybe they just eat the hair off the road kills though.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Good Lord, because it's impossible to know an exact number.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
I'm not sure what the big deal is, coyotes gotta eat too. And it's not like the PGC could lengthen the season or increase the bag limit. They're here, have been for quite a while, and deer numbers keep going up. I just don't see a crisis here....

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Good Lord, because it's impossible to know an exact number.
That is the point, no body knows the number. So it is hard to give anything but an opinion, on that number. Only thing we know for sure is they eat dead deer and kill live ones. That seems to be enough to get a debate going.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts