The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should coyotes still be taking deer this time of year?
I'm a sure that some deer get taken mainly the sick or old but for some reason it seems like I cane across the most yote sign I've ever seen in my 30+ years of hunting.
Almost every pile of scat (well over 200+) had a little bit of deer hair in it as well as berries and rabbit hair.
I also came across at least 3 different kill sites.
This was last week while I spent the entire week looking for a muzzy doe or hunting grouse with the dog.
I started predator hunting this year and got myself completely outfitted and even gave it a shot 4 different night last week without any sightings. I did see 4 yotes during daylight hours. One was jet black which was pretty cool.
I was always under the impression deer were mainly taken by yotes during fawning.
I didn't see barely a deer in any area that had Alot of yote sign.
Could it be that the yotes are having a bigger impact than pgc studies suggest?
trust me I'm trying to do my part and hunt them. I'm just not very good at it yet although it is fun.
I just find it odd yotes are still killing so many seemingly healthy deer.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Coyotes have been hurting the deer herd in my area and I don't need a study to verify that, we seem to be over run with coyotes. My neighbors and I have been seeing the same thing very few does with fawns. I only have four mature does and one button buck on camera, not sure what else could account for the lack of fawns this year. A young trapper stopped by our farm Sunday and set some traps and trapped two the first night, not sure if he got anymore this week.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
There are starting to be a lot of carcasses, hides and gut piles all around now, so all of the scavengers scat will start having some deer hair in it now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
There are starting to be a lot of carcasses, hides and gut piles all around now, so all of the scavengers scat will start having some deer hair in it now.
That's what my intitial thought was to the OPs post. A yote wouldn't expend the energy required to take down a full size deer this time of year. Makes zero sense with the number of roadkills that now fill the woods along most roadways.

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
Coyotes have been hurting the deer herd in my area and I don't need a study to verify that, we seem to be over run with coyotes. My neighbors and I have been seeing the same thing very few does with fawns. I only have four mature does and one button buck on camera, not sure what else could account for the lack of fawns this year. A young trapper stopped by our farm Sunday and set some traps and trapped two the first night, not sure if he got anymore this week.
A bad winter and a cold wet spring will kill far more fawns than any number of coyotes.

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
Clearfield12 said:
Should coyotes still be taking deer this time of year?
I'm a sure that some deer get taken mainly the sick or old but for some reason it seems like I cane across the most yote sign I've ever seen in my 30+ years of hunting.
Almost every pile of scat (well over 200+) had a little bit of deer hair in it as well as berries and rabbit hair.
I also came across at least 3 different kill sites.
This was last week while I spent the entire week looking for a muzzy doe or hunting grouse with the dog.
I started predator hunting this year and got myself completely outfitted and even gave it a shot 4 different night last week without any sightings. I did see 4 yotes during daylight hours. One was jet black which was pretty cool.
I was always under the impression deer were mainly taken by yotes during fawning.
I didn't see barely a deer in any area that had Alot of yote sign.
Could it be that the yotes are having a bigger impact than pgc studies suggest?
trust me I'm trying to do my part and hunt them. I'm just not very good at it yet although it is fun.
I just find it odd yotes are still killing so many seemingly healthy deer.
Joe,years ago when Pa Sportsman magazine was still in production,there was an article about a study Penss State was doing in this area.Sixty five plus percent of all coyote scat in the Dubois/Brockway area had deer remains.Deer made up the largest part of the coyote's diet.I spend every free minute in the woods throughout the year in this area and I've only ever found two dead deer that I was convinced were killed by coyotes.Does it happen?Most likely to an extent but not as much as many people think.With good habitat,it will happen less.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doug
Seriously I found 3 kill sites in a week in about a mile area. Easily well over 200 piles of scat with deer hair in it. I saw 4 different yotes in that same area that I couldn't get a shot at. Could it be a localized issue of just coyote over Abundance?

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
I would say localized issue.How do you know they were kill sites?Deer die for various reasons and coyotes scavenge.

Maybe someone in that area is feeding the deer corn lol.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me backtrack... The dead deer were all in about a 300 yard square area. I believe them to be yote kills as there were in different stages of decomposition. The freashest appeared to have its belly ripped out and hind quarters eaten. The other 2 looked like mangled carpets of deer hair.
There were numerous yote tracks and scat surrounding all sites. The scat was almost all deer hair mixed with berries. There closest road was 1/2 mile away.
They very well could be scavenging the deer but didn't kill them.
Then the question becomes what killed 3 deer in that size of an area?

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
People feeding them corn.Honestly,IT could be a bunch of different things.They could have been poached and left to rot or just shot by a hunter and not recovered.Then again,coyotes could have killed all three.Tough to say.

Penn state has a couple thousand deer collared right now and to date,only like one adult do has died from predation.

·
Registered
16,483 Posts
PA Bone. Seeins how you are from the Western part of PA, I can relate, and concur. 2 weeks ago, a pack woke me and the wife from bed. We were sleeping with the winders open, one night it was 3 AM, the next at 1 AM. Not sure what the party was about, but it was on.

I have been noticing the lack of fawns increasingly each year. Made not of it in a post 2 years ago. Not sure the Yote's are a huge impact when the Deer reach maturity, but definitely an impact to the Fawns, and I agree, the Yote's are WAYYYYYY more prevelant here now than even a few short years ago.

·
Super Moderator
14,061 Posts
If you found three adult deer had been killed in a relatively small area my first suspect would be a human killer with a coyote scavenger. If the human killer could be ruled out my second suspect would a bobcat killer with the coyotes scavenging the remains the bobcat left.

In all of my many years investigating dead deer it was almost always human related. Of those that were from predation, on mature deer, the vast majority were bobcat kills. There were very few mature deer taken by coyotes and all of those were either previously injured or during extreme winter, ice and/or snow depth conditions that wore the deer down to where they were already in an extremely stressed condition.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
19,379 Posts
Fleroo said:
PA Bone. Seeins how you are from the Western part of PA, I can relate, and concur. 2 weeks ago, a pack woke me and the wife from bed. We were sleeping with the winders open, one night it was 3 AM, the next at 1 AM. Not sure what the party was about, but it was on.

I have been noticing the lack of fawns increasingly each year. Made not of it in a post 2 years ago. Not sure the Yote's are a huge impact when the Deer reach maturity, but definitely an impact to the Fawns, and I agree, the Yote's are WAYYYYYY more prevelant here now than even a few short years ago.
I agree with both Pabone and Fleroo about 2A. Way more coyotes than ever, and fewer and fewer fawns making it too maturity. It was unusual to see a doe without twins 10 years ago. I see fewer and fewer twins with each passing year and singles are now commonplace.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dick
that sounds feasible. The area has seen it's fair share of late night gun shots lately. Could also be a bobcat or even corn. I know Alot is put out over winter so that could have definitly done it. One of the kills looked to new to be corn though. My guess is human, yote or cat.
In all the years I've hunted the area I've never seen as much yote sign as this year. There were always a few around and we would get them up and moving during bear season. Hunting by myself I kicked up 4. That's pretty incredible that I was able to even see them. Normally they are long gone.
Could also be poaching.
I had 2 young men come up to me around midnight as I was calling the day before muzzy started. They allegedly were hunting yotes with muzzleloaders and no calls......

·
Registered
469 Posts
In my area the Coyotes took a huge toll on the deer herd. I think the Coyote numbers are down lately and the deer are coming back. One person on here got it right. Coyotes will kill any mature healthy deer whenever they like. The first time I seen a Coyote was when I was archery hunting. The Coyotes stage themselves on the side of a hill. Then Another Coyote went into the bedding area and chased a deer down through the valley. When the deer got to the waiting Coyotes they took up the chase. Like the pony express. Fresh Coyotes taking up the chase after a deer that was already chased half a mile. The deer had no chance. I've seen a lot of things over the years claimed by the PGC that disagree with. I'm thinking last winter with the deep snow may have taken a toll on the Coyotes. Either that or they moved on or people are killing more of them. But finally their numbers are in check and the deer are coming back. One thing I will add. I think we had an abnormal number of Coyotes because the area once held a lot of deer and there is a landfill near by. I think the Coyotes scavenged from the fill and killed deer when they wanted fresh meat.

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
Coyote mortality is high from diseases like mange.That keeps their numbers in check more than anything.

I live in an areas with a fair number of coyotes and we've had a decent population since at least the early 90's.I rarely see evidence of them killing adult deer,not saying it doesn't happen from time to time.I used to live across from a dump where they threw road kills.During the winter,the coyote tracks would go right past it.Rarely did I ever see tracks going into the pit.Not sure why.I've also seen coyotes walk right past mature deer in fields and the deer barely paid attention to them unless they had fawns.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts