The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should welfare recipients be drug tested to receive benefits?

·
Registered
999 Posts
They should IMO. If they are, the welfare benefits should be terminated with no chance of reinstatement of benefits.

Again IMO, anyone that receives welfare and is an able body to work should be on road crews cleaning the roads and highways. Let them cut grass where budgets aren't allowing the DPW crews to cut grass on these roads and highways.
It's an old concept....WORK=PAY.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Im saying NO because it will only cost US, the workers more money to PAY for the tests...NOW, IF YOU FORCE THEM TO GET A JOB, the employer will 99% of the time-make them take a drug test, then the EMPLOYER can pay for it. Besides, somebody could go on a CRACK or COCAINE bender and snort or smoke up a $1000.00 worth of their welfare money and food stamps and still pass a drug test within 48 hours...the only thing drug tests are good for are busting people for smoking pot since it stays in your system for so long. How do you think all those crackheads are on "supervised probation" taking maditory drug tests once or twice a week AND STILL PASSING...make people get a job and earn their keep. There is a place at the table for everybody in this country, thats one of the great things about America...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about the cost issue also. I haven't looked into the whole cost aspect of it but I look at it this way. They drug test state prisoner's monthly, so the cost aspect should be about the same and I would imagine that the state let's drug test facilities bid for the contract on that. Adding welfare into the mix should bring the cost for each test down even more. Tax money in theory should be saved. Even if it wasn't I would rather see it spent there than on most of Rendell's other failed programs.

·
Registered
999 Posts
They can lower the cost by making the welfare recipient pay a copay for the test. The same way I and many others have a copay for doctor's visits.
Make it a fixed amount for all recipients and deduct it straight from their monthly check. If they don't agree to it than they don't receive welfare. Also make the tests random with no set dates if possible. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I had to take drug tests for my jobs, why should they not have to take them too to get a check?

Oh that's right, I had a job and wanted to keep it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
yep make them take it weekly. Do like they do for unemployment, to get your check you have to prove that you were looking for a job. Unless your physically unable to work than that's different.

While we are at it NO HUNTING OR FISHING licenses either. I know of a couple of bums who hunt and fish year round while on welfare. Why would anyone want a job when your getting paid to hunt and fish anytime you want.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Drug tests,................
and perm. birth control.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
How about no welfare....call it Workfare, like some others said, clean the roads, dig holes, pick up garbage, etc...
I never got a free ride and neither should any able bodied adult. Make their cards only able to get bread, milk, cheese and basic meat...every time I see the welfare card come out the cart is full of fruit loops, chips, soda, candy and more crap....... I'd be embarrassed as a MAN to be collecting a check knowing full well I was able to work......work mans comp is another abused system..but lets save that for another day.

Welcome to America...No slackers allowed!!!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Workfare would be a great idea. Run it like one of those manpower type places. Plenty of work around for them to do!!! Even if all they did was pick up trash along roadways. Easy way to offer on the job training so people to get off THE SYSTEM!!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I can point you to several welfare recipients that do drugs and yet here I am on unemployment and can't get food stamps.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I think when the economic situation is as it is now, the first thing they should do is reduce welfare benefits and let charities pick up the slack, if they can. Over 1/3 of the state budget goes to welfare recipients. Why should those who contribute have to give more when those who only take and contribute nothing just keep on sucking our blood.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Yes they should be tested. What they need to do is make them get up off thier lazy behinds and work. If a person is really trying and needs extra help,I have no problem with that. These able bodied people who are sponging off of me and you tick me off to no end. Lots of them around where I live,not a thing wrong with them,except they are LAZY. They think the world owes them something. Well,they owe me for all the years I've been keeping them. People on welfare is a really sore spot with me. I see it and it makes me want to

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think they should have to prove that they are not squandering their money on drugs, alcohol, or gambling. Perhaps a Sin Tax card would be more appropriate. Something like the old PLCB cards that you have to have to buy tobacco or alcohol. Swipe it on every purchase and then at the end of the year you get a form that tells you how much you wasted on tobacco and alcohol. At tax time, add it to their adjusted gross income and tax it again.

I'm not crazy about increasing taxes, but I'm also not crazy about the 10 folks walking down the street in front of me that are blowing their smoke in the air only for me to breath it in. So, they get taxed on the front end for doing something they want to do and then on the back end for doing something that the people around them really don't want them doing.

I suspect this would hit the welfare recipients pretty hard.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
John S said:
Why should those who contribute have to give more when those who only take and contribute nothing just keep on sucking our blood.
That's how the demokrats buy votes. They keep a dependant population voting for them to keep the checks coming.

·
Registered
968 Posts
drug test em and make them bring in proof from a business that they are filling out applications to get a job. I think there should be a time limit like unemployment. I've been paying in ever since I started working at 15 but if I lose my job I can only get benefits for x amount of time why shouldn't they? I have no problem with people who need the help because they are down on their luck or because of a disability, but a lot of these people make a career out of it. Like someone else said put them to work you collect welfare you have to do x amount of comunnity service to get it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
uncysid said:
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I can point you to several welfare recipients that do drugs and yet here I am on unemployment and can't get food stamps.
unicysid,
I'm in the same boat as you are and I FULLY AGREE!!!!

If they can get food stamps and medical care and house or apartment rent, then we who are unemployed should be able to atleast get food stamps to help us along while we look for work and get less on unemployment then we made while working!

If they are doing drugs... take ALL forms of help AWAY from them!!!

I do not like "Big Brother" Sticking thier noses in my or others bussiness but when tax money goes to pay those who refuse to work and get a FREE ride on the tax payers dime....then they should be getting drug tested since they basically do have a Job.....Set at home and do drugs and get drunk or wonder around doing other things when they could be working!

Instead of pee tests... cut some hair off and pull some blood and test BOTH! If they show that they have used drugs.....take all free ride money and help AWAY from them!!! Saves the Tax Payers MORE Money then cost of that drug test!!!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Yes, definetly test them and definetly make them start working, tired of seeing people who have never payed into welfare, disability, or social security collect it and decent hard working folks who eventually need it get a hard time. But it probably will never happen because a working man will never be president.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts