The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's assume Crosby wont be back for any meaningful part of the season...as it now appears. Should Shero do anything to improve the Pens, even if only for this year? Blockbuster trade? Minor acquision? Stand pat? What could he give up? If I knew how to start a poll, I would have done that).

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Perhaps unload someone who's going to be a free agent, tank the season and hope for picks. There will be no cup if we don't have Sid, so why embarrass ourselves in the playoffs like we did last season, when we can maybe get a decent player from a contender, AND get a high draft slot? This season will be a disappointment anyway. Why not build for the future? And let's face it, Sid may never be back, at least at the level he used to be at. We need a scoring wing, even if he does return. If he doesn't, a scoring winger will improve Malkin's game. Maybe they could get a defensive minded defenseman in a trade, or, a Rick Tocchett type guy who can play AND protect Sid and Geno from any harm coming their way. If I recall, Tocchett was a 50 goal guy at one point, and was able to beat senseless anyone who took a cheap shot at Mario.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I couldn't disagree with SF more. I think they have more than enough defenseman and would be looking to trade Paul Martin and his 5 million dollar price tag for a winger that can score. We've got 2 NHL defenseman that are scratched every night because we don't have a place for them. I think they should add 2 guys at the deadline this year that can put the puck in the net. They have the cap space to do so, they just have to be willing to part with either Martin or some young guys and draft picks. This team can make a run with Malkin leading it, he just needs some help.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Rumors flying that the Pens are interested in Kostitsyn and Gill.

Tangradi scratched after warm ups in the WBS game tonight. Could very well mean he is being traded.

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who is going to take Martin and his 5 mil salary? He's not playing anywhere near that level.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm not sure why they'd want Gill I guess. As far as I'm concerned we have an abundance of defensemen right now. Simon Despres looks like he could replace Martin quite nicely with a much nicer price tag. I'd rather see them go after a quality forward before a d-man

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Gill would be nice to have IF they had the ability to win the Cup and were just one shutdown defenseman away. They aren't. They are, right now, at least 2 finishers away.

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gill takes up a lot of room out there. Sometimes, that's a good thing.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Danesdad said:
Who is going to take Martin and his 5 mil salary? He's not playing anywhere near that level.
There are alot of teams that would take Martin and his 5 million dollar salary. Martin can quarterback a powerplay. He just isn't needed in that capacity here in Pittsburgh. He's an above average defenseman. Any contender or team looking to build around a guy could take Martin. Martin is better than you think he is. We just have an abundance of talented defenseman that make him look worse than he is.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
We don't need Hal Gill again. There is no room on the roster for him. We need finishers. I don't like Kostitsyn either.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Are there going to be any Gary Roberts types on the market this year? We could always use one of those--or 18 of those, actually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts