The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday, I was cruising along the lake with a full load of dekes, etc, and I think I hit a log. It nearly stopped us. The motor then performed fine on the way back to the launch.

However, I did notice that my motor is moving under acceleration. The best way I can describe the movement is the head of the motor moves back towards the wake and the lower unit of the motor would move up towards the transom of the boat. All the while, the motors bracket is not moving around on the transon. Is this normal? My motor may have very well done this all the entire time and I never knew it. The motor is a Tohatsu 20hp tiller.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'd imagine there is some play naturally.. Do you notice any performance difference? Since the thrust is created at the prop I'm sure the lower unit will get pushed a little towards the transom.. How much would you say it's moving?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Very normal for the powerhead to tilt back under acceleration so long as it is not excessive.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
If I watched it I could tell you.

I'm going to say my powerhead (it's a good bit larger engine but it shouldn't be any different) will can't back 5-10 degrees on a holeshot. Just a guess on the angle, of course. It's a very noticeable amount of movement if you are watching closely. Not so much if you aren't paying close attention. I do know our old 9.9's and 18's that were tiller motors were the same way.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You broke the motor mounts. Probably the bottom but maybe both top and bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts