The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: Should senior license holders be exempt from AR's?

Probably going to get flak for this but being 66 and with diabetes and neuropathy in the feet I cannot walk distances like I use to. I cant climb hills or some of the mountains like I wish I could, so I am pretty much restricted as to how far I can travel to get to the "GOOD" hunting areas... so I say lower them for the Seniors... the others can walk for miles and not break a sweat.. not so for most of us older people.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Most of your old timers have killed truck loads of deer in their lifetimes.

Thats right young man. And they did it without trail cameras, super flat shooting bows, food plots, lighted bow pins, gps, climbing tree stands, ATVs to get in and out of the woods with there deer, etc. Did you ever see the broadhead selection you had in the 70s. How about the first climbing tree stands. Some small angle and a piece of plywood. Now you have archery that is like for months compared to back then and with all the tools today killing a good buck should not be that hard most not all most still are just not dedicated enough. But your post does make good sense most that are as bad as I was thinking could probably get a special permit and hunt with a cross bow. Wait everyone can do that today also. So maybe they should leave it alone since deer hunting has become so easy. Man 1 of them tree lounge tree stands would have been nice back in 74. Since we went through all that I now agree we should not make it easy on anyone since everyone even including a 6 year old can shoot a cross bow and count to 4, lets make AR for everyone even kids.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

If you're still in a physical condition that allows you to drag a 150 lbs deer from the woods then you're in good enough condition to wait for a legal buck. If you're eye sight is an issue and you can't count points then you shouldn't be carrying a weapon to begin with.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

I think we should keep AR, but have a 1 week early muzzleloader for bucks and doe, and shorten regular rifle 1 week. Then those old seniors will have more larger racks to count points. Most will not have been killed by bow hunters before the regular gun season. Maybe not change ARs but change some seasons around giving everyone a poke at those trophy horns out there. Now that would even the playing field some.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

I wouldn't be opposed to dropping AR after 80. The amount of deer killed by 80+ year old hunters is insignificant.

As has been stated previously, there is plenty of opportunity to shoot a doe instead of a spike or forkie.

Whether it's a 3" spike, 3 on a side, 4 on a side, 3 up, no doe hunting, or no buck hunting, if I am healthy, I will continue to hunt.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

Yeah, that would be brilliant! Follow a 2 month archery season where buck can be taken with another week of a firearms season! That should make the rifle hunterts happy. FYI, I am not in favor of exempting seniors from AR but that idea won't fly, and it should not.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts

Alpine Shooter said:
I think we should keep AR, but have a 1 week early muzzleloader for bucks and doe, and shorten regular rifle 1 week. Then those old seniors will have more larger racks to count points. Most will not have been killed by bow hunters before the regular gun season. Maybe not change ARs but change some seasons around giving everyone a poke at those trophy horns out there. Now that would even the playing field some.
Didn't you just say in your previous post that what with crossbows and tree lounges its become so easy a six yr old can kill a good buck every year ? But now the playing field isn't level enough in your opinion and gun hunters lack opportunity and trophy bucks because bowhunters kill them all? Yet its so easy so what is stopping anyone under 100yrs old from buying a crossbow and slaying a pope and young buck every year ? Im not following you....

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Indeed, Let's not be unfair to those hunters who choose not to take advantage of the opportunities that already exist for everyone.

·
Registered
767 Posts

I think AR should apply to all ages, even the jr and younger hunters. I don't think its fair to ask one age bracket to follow a rule and the others not. JMO

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I voted no. I understand the premise of AR, but I get tired of people getting caught up in the quest of collecting the most inches of bone and missing the experience. I realize this doesn't apply to everybody or maybe even most people. If shooting a spike or four point gets your blood pumping and it was legal then I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

John S said:
Yeah, that would be brilliant! Follow a 2 month archery season where buck can be taken with another week of a firearms season! That should make the rifle hunterts happy. FYI, I am not in favor of exempting seniors from AR but that idea won't fly, and it should not.
AR for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
13,963 Posts

What do you mean? It is the gun hunters that are shooting the archery hunters next year deer? LOL.

Are you reporting the alleged young archery hunters in your area that are breaking the law? Don't report them and complain???? Poaching is a problem for all deer hunters.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

No, there is not a problem except in the minds of some. This is also not a thread for ideas on gow to change the season it is about a specific subject. So before it gets kicked ff the tracks stay on topic.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Alpine Shooter said:
Most of your old timers have killed truck loads of deer in their lifetimes.

Thats right young man. And they did it without trail cameras, super flat shooting bows, food plots, lighted bow pins, gps, climbing tree stands, ATVs to get in and out of the woods with there deer, etc. Did you ever see the broadhead selection you had in the 70s. How about the first climbing tree stands. Some small angle and a piece of plywood. Now you have archery that is like for months compared to back then and with all the tools today killing a good buck should not be that hard most not all most still are just not dedicated enough. But your post does make good sense most that are as bad as I was thinking could probably get a special permit and hunt with a cross bow. Wait everyone can do that today also. So maybe they should leave it alone since deer hunting has become so easy. Man 1 of them tree lounge tree stands would have been nice back in 74. Since we went through all that I now agree we should not make it easy on anyone since everyone even including a 6 year old can shoot a cross bow and count to 4, lets make AR for everyone even kids.
do you even like hunting??

·
Registered
5,952 Posts

Diehardhunter said:
I think AR should apply to all ages, even the jr and younger hunters. I don't think its fair to ask one age bracket to follow a rule and the others not. JMO
Fair? give me a break, Its kids, big deal. They also get free and half priced meals at some resturants.

·
Registered
882 Posts

By the sounds of it, I must be alone in my thinking.

It doesn't bother me one bit that kids don't have the same ARs that I do. It also wouldn't bother me in the least if the seniors didn't have them either.
I wouldn't feel like I was being treated unfairly. I'd be more than happy for them if they were successful with any buck. I feel very fortunate being in the middle..... age wise. I still have strong legs, back, shoulders and lungs unlike many of the older hunters; and I can afford the hunting equipment I want(within reason) and can drive to wherever I want to hunt unlike most under-16 yr olds. I'd say "this" middle-aged guy has it pretty good.

Maybe it's also because I don't view deer hunting as a competition(except with the deer). I like to hunt for big bucks, but that's just my choice..... for me. I don't judge anybody else on their deer hunting choices.

Wouldn't feel unfair to me, but that's just my choice of opinion.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Seniors have just as many chances to kill a buck as anyone else. The Game Commission has given many opportunities to everyone to kill a buck. Think about it like this. The biggest complaint is they can't count the points because the deer are running too fast in rifle season. Now why weren't they out in October when it was 75 degrees and can use a crossbow with a scope and can use binoculars and clearly count points! I hear so many excuses why they should be allowed to shoot what ever they want and it is old! We were killing 80% of our yearling bucks before the AR and now we are only killing 50%. I have seen many 1 1/2 old 8 points that can be shot but I pass them up. Get over the AR issue because it is here to stay! Thanks PGC and Gary Alt!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts

I am a senior hunter, I prefer to play by the same rules as any other adult hunter. Since I like the results of AR, why would I want to shot a non-AR buck.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

huntman said:
By the sounds of it, I must be alone in my thinking.

It doesn't bother me one bit that kids don't have the same ARs that I do. It also wouldn't bother me in the least if the seniors didn't have them either.
I wouldn't feel like I was being treated unfairly. I'd be more than happy for them if they were successful with any buck. I feel very fortunate being in the middle..... age wise. I still have strong legs, back, shoulders and lungs unlike many of the older hunters; and I can afford the hunting equipment I want(within reason) and can drive to wherever I want to hunt unlike most under-16 yr olds. I'd say "this" middle-aged guy has it pretty good.

Maybe it's also because I don't view deer hunting as a competition(except with the deer). I like to hunt for big bucks, but that's just my choice..... for me. I don't judge anybody else on their deer hunting choices.

Wouldn't feel unfair to me, but that's just my choice of opinion.

·
Registered
342 Posts

There's too many hunters shooting illegal buck for the program to work as good as it should. I reported 2 hunters this season for shooting deer that did not make the point requirements. Those two I had proof of it, but heard of several others that did it as well. I come across at least one buck a year that was shot and left lay as well.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts