The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
4,310 Posts
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">AR for all!</span></span></span>

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes seniors should value time hunting more than any other as theirs is the most limited but yet most have more spare time than general adult hunting lic. holders. If they are life long hunters they should ve BY NOW killed a few small bucks if they chose too...Keep the ARs for them.

ARs = Big Bucks = Max satisfaction.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I saw a scrawny little buck behind the house last month. He had lost one antler and the other had a small "Y" and a tiny bump of a brow tine. It occurred to me that that buck would not have been protected by ARs (in most of the state).

Are there really seniors that have the desire to kill something smaller than that?

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
fall gobbler said:
Are there really seniors that have the desire to kill something smaller than that?
If there are , then it should be their choice, not yours, mine or anyone else's. I dislike AR's for anyone. Just because certain people like to trophy hunt, doesn't mean that everyone should do it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Unless the "bump" was an inch long, that deer would not have been legal.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Re: Should senior license holders be exempt from AR's?

Alpine Shooter said:
Birch812 said:
AR is fine for seniors the way it is but it should be increased for the youngin's
No Antler restrictions for seniors.

Deer out there of every size scout find the 1 you want and hunt it. Maybe killing off some more of these scrubs will be better than AR is now. Back when it was started there was less food plots, and less posted ground. Many nice bucks are shot early and a lot of inferior bucks do the breeding. Trophy bucks will grow and we will have them here and there, due to posted properties nobody hunts.
Sounds like your area has a severe HIGH GRADING situation going on.

I often wonder how many other parts of the state are experiencing the exact same thing.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Not sure when the title and the question got changed but I know my vote didn't reflect what I intended.

I hit no inadvertently but believe that seniors ought to be held to the same rules as all adults. By the time one is a senior, the "any buck" rather than a doe mentality ought to be long outgrown.

·
Registered
629 Posts
kudu58 said:
fall gobbler said:
If there are , then it should be their choice, not yours, mine or anyone else's. I dislike AR's for anyone. Just because certain people like to trophy hunt, doesn't mean that everyone should do it.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Banned
313 Posts

Birch812 said:
Alpine Shooter said:
Birch812 said:
AR is fine for seniors the way it is but it should be increased for the youngin's
No Antler restrictions for seniors.

Many nice bucks are shot early and a lot of inferior bucks do the breeding. Trophy bucks will grow and we will have them here and there, due to posted properties nobody hunts. I say let the seniors get there buck. Back in the day all bucks were a trophy. There was not trail camers, bows that shot 300FPS and all the other gadgets these young hunters have and are against seniors killing scrub bucks.
That is part of what I do not understand why we allow bucks to be taken during early archery season. Would make more sense to just allow doe and spikes or Y bucks if the goal is to turn Pennsylvania into a trophy deer state.

Personally I think the senior hunters should have a whole different set of regulations like AR, seasons and use of vehicles/atvs on GL/SF roads
How do we determine a buck to be "inferior"? Those "trophy's" who get shot earl are most likely 3.5-5.5 years old and have already spread their gene. They got that gene from somewhere? Maybe a 1.5yr old 4 point from 5 years ago was his daddy? Because he is a "Y" buck at 1.5 yrs and not a 6 or 8 point makes him inferior? It has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt how far yearlings travel (and spread their genes) and that a spike can be a 150" plus buck at 4.5 or 5.5 years old so the genetics can't be managed effectively in a free ranging heard. What about mama doe who has poor genetics and has new bucks every spring? We have good genetics for the most part in the state, we just need the habitat and longevity in some parts for the deer to meet their potential. A 5.5 year old buck is gonna be a "trophy" in most areas of our state, whether he was that "Y" buck doing the breeding as a 1.5 YO or that 100" 8 point breeding as a 2.5 year old.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts

Amazing how many guys think ARs were implemented for trophy hunters.....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

NUTZ- it made it to page 4!!! Should have bet the over!!lol

·
Registered
5,590 Posts

Leave AR 3 on top for us "seniors" and raise it to 5 on top for the everyone else but the JR's, disabled and active duty military.

Hey, it's a slow evening

·
Administrator
30,319 Posts

Hittingguru said:
NUTZ- it made it to page 4!!! Should have bet the over!!lol
As long as it stays civil, it might even make the next page

·
Registered
11,335 Posts

mauser06 said:
Amazing how many guys think ARs were implemented for trophy hunters.....
The talking points on AR were to save a few younger bucks to improve the breeding ecology. HR alone was going to do that. But it was huge racks held up that was the sell to hunters for doing it. AKA trophy hunting. Alot of discussion on here for AR is by folks who want to shoot bigger bucks-trophy hunting. Hence why the discussion heads in that direction.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts

This probably won't be a very popular opinion, but i think they need to leave it alone . Most of your old timers have killed truck loads of deer in their lifetimes. If they really want to just kill any deer then tag a doe . The lesser restriction was intended to help recruit young hunters, and i don't feel we need to expand it to grandpap. If they refuse to kill a doe in this day and age and somehow view that as less worthy than killing a spike buck than we don't need to reward stubborn behavior. Plenty of opportunity in this state to kill deer if you don't want to wait for a legal buck . And there are already regs geared at accessibility for handicapped hunters of which a heart patient or senior with a bad hip or severe arthritis can certainly take advantage of as far as using the vehicle goes. Jm2c

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

I first want to state that I am a Senior Non Resident that has hunted in various locations in Pa since 1968. Enjoying that experience to the utmost!!
I agree with the folks that DO NOT wish to make MAJOR alterations to the Antler Regs the Only Item that MAY require tweaking is permitting ACTIVE DUTY Military to harvest a deer due to their status and the probabilty of LIMITED woods time. Just my opinion!
Thanks for Making Pa a GREAT place to enjoy the OUTDOORS!!
Smage
PS: I also support an increase in Licence FEES and Sunday Hunting

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Being 66, i say let it alone. I get out, scout, put the time in, and usually get a deer.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts