The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Re: Should senior license holders be exempt from AR's?

I am in favor of antler restrictions, but I voted no. I took my grandfather hunting a few years ago, and in a lifetime of hunting, he's never shot a buck. It was very, very hard for me to watch that four-point offer a perfect 40-yard broadside shot and not be able to let the man shoot. Given his health, I'm afraid that was probably the last hurrah.

·
Registered
20,048 Posts

My concern is we are talking about a growing segment of our hunter base. Older hunters. A significant number. Then, those in this group also have the most time to hunt.

I would have to ask the question if AR are even worth keeping if we elimininate them for seniors. There are none in place for juniors and we lowered the bar last year with the three up on the western end of the state.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

treestand91 said:
Alpine Shooter said:
Birch812 said:
AR is fine for seniors the way it is but it should be increased for the youngin's
No Antler restrictions for seniors.

Deer out there of every size scout find the 1 you want and hunt it. Maybe killing off some more of these scrubs will be better than AR is now. Back when it was started there was less food plots, and less posted ground. Many nice bucks are shot early and a lot of inferior bucks do the breeding. Trophy bucks will grow and we will have them here and there, due to posted properties nobody hunts. I say let the seniors get there buck. Back in the day all bucks were a trophy. There was not trail camers, bows that shot 300FPS and all the other gadgets these young hunters have and are against seniors killing scrub bucks. I suggest we take all the new bow hunting gear that is more equal to a gun compared to what seniors bow hunted and yes killed deer with away from these young horn hunters and see how well they do.
I notice you don't call yourself bear whitetail hunter shooter.....
Yes but i killed plenty with a old Bear Flare on 45# and a climbing treestand I made myself and can give you references if needed.
Many deer were killed with Bear bows of all types. Now we have the younger generation saying we would be making it easier on seniors, but we have made it so easy on todays hunters its almost impossible for a bow hunter not to kill a good buck.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Pa.Bone said:
Yes, Most of the seasoned veterans hunt harder than alot of the younger hunters. They have no problem complying with A/R
I agree but many are in severe failing health but still go out. Guess we could tell them stay home, but its probably in there blood the same as most hunters on here. Youth hunters have there whole life, they can see they can stand the cold. Take all those 14" 2 year old 8 points and let them grow and theres where your AR works. Youth and Mentored hunters kill far more bucks then these old seniors will. And I agree most like AR, and it gives either the decesion what they want to shoot or dont want to shoot.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You know what they say about us old guys,once we hit the Senior year we go into our 2nd childhood,so yes we should be aloud to shoot any buck,and the small buck is easyer to drag out also.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

I'm a senior and expect to follow the same reg.'s as non-seniors.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

My cousin is a senior and highly believes in Ar, and feels we should go further and have a average size limit. When he was young he hunted out of the top of the barn in a little room enclosed by hay bale walls. Then when he got on the local gas company he bought his own farm. He has hunted in a box stand, it has a bed, a tv, and propane heat. I can see why he agrees, and his grandkids gut and butcher the deer, he just pulls the trigger. n the other hand a older friend broke his hip trying to get his deer out last year. And how many have heart attacks? And like the other poster said most small bucks are easier to drag, but mostly they are easier to kill where these guys can get to. 2 seasons ago i spent the entire morning helping a old timer get his deer out of the woods.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

dpms said:
My concern is we are talking about a growing segment of our hunter base. Older hunters. A significant number. Then, those in this group also have the most time to hunt.

I would have to ask the question if AR are even worth keeping if we elimininate them for seniors. There are none in place for juniors and we lowered the bar last year with the three up on the western end of the state.
Great point! In a few short years the full range of baby boomers will be eligible for senior licenses, If you make another exception, AR would effect less than half of the total licensed hunters.
As part of the boomer generation, I don't feel that any exception is needed.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

I said yes. These guys have years of hunting under their belts and most have killed multiple, multiple deer. Alot of these guys when they hit that senior license age are able bodied and just as capable of killing a deer as a man 30-40 years younger. I think everyone should follow ar's. If they want a deer then shoot a doe. DPMS made a valid point about our emerging baby boomer population. This is Pa's greatest segment of hunters, and once retired they will have more time to hunt than anyone. I dont think we could afford to let all these guys run around killing everybuck that came into range if the goal in pa is to produce bigger bucks.

·
Administrator
39,075 Posts

dpms said:

I totally agree Gene, and in my opinion i think they would not be worth keeping then.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts

I liked the 4 on one side AR and the pgc manage to screw that up.My answer to the question is everybody should go by AR don't care if your 3 years old or 103 years old.

·
Registered
11,404 Posts

I think most 65 year olds are still pretty with it to be able to adhere to AR's. Once they hit 75 though, let them shoot whatever they want. How many seasons can you have left at 75? I hope I'm still alive then and even have the will to hunt. What harm would it do to exempt them at 75?

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

pappybear said:
Your poll is purposely deceptive. It requires careful reading.
LOL I never realized that people would just vote based on the thread title, which I changed.

I'm starting to wonder if this is what happened in the elections back in November.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts

I could go along with 75... but it's like when someone hits 65 they can't do it any more without help of some kind.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts

sq32, I'll take all the help I can git. How about comin' across the river to help us old guys drag 'em off the river hill

·
Registered
342 Posts

I don't shoot any buck unless he's going on the wall, but I wish they'd do away with AR for everyone.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

eyefromthesky said:
pappybear said:
Your poll is purposely deceptive. It requires careful reading.
LOL I never realized that people would just vote based on the thread title, which I changed.

I'm starting to wonder if this is what happened in the elections back in November.
That's a mistake most of us old guys didn't make. The youngsters need an exemption for that one...LOL

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

I have no problem at all with having us old guys adhere to AR. I did thoroughly enjoy, however, having my grandson along on the first day of rifle season and see his excitement at shooting a spike buck.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.