The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the shotgun reloading crowd.
I'm thinking of buying a friends Mec 600 jr 12 ga reloader. My question is this...
If I buy this Mec600 jr 12 ga loader, can I purchase a 20 ga conversion kit and just swap out the tooling to load 20ga shells and if so, is it easy and equitable to do so or would it be easier to just purchase a 20ga reloader?

Notch

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
Yes can buy the 20 ga. die set and switch it around.

It is not hard to do other than the adjustments but I would prefer to have two different presses.

If your not loading a lot of ammo you could buy a Lee Load-All in 20 ga and use that. I have two of them and use them frequently for loading rounds for hunting or for patterning.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can do the conversion kit for another gauge. It's not too terrible to swap and reset up. I did for years on an early 60's-era MEC. When Sizemaster's were only $77 apiece some years ago, I bought three in different gauges. It was money well spent for me. Now I complain when I have to swap the charge bars and bushings.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I have a 600jr and I swap out between 12 and 28. One of these days I'll get a second press. It'd be a whole heckuva lot easier and faster.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I would go with two individual press. However I would and do use the Universal Charge Bar in mine. No bushings needed what so ever. You can change it out to either of the 600 jr presses. It comes in two sizes so make sure you buy the one for the correct MEC press.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I have a universal charge bar too. Do you get shot binding in the top of it? I get pieces of shot stuck in there and sheared off all the time. I stopped using my universal!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
No I do not..I own two of the Universal charge bars. They are about 30 years old now...I don't even own any of the MEC bushing at all...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts