The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried sighting in my .45 apex with 195 hp powerbelts. they were all over the target. i went back to the 225 ballistic tip(silver ones) and they grouped better. my question is in muzzleloading is the bullet powder an issue do certain pairs just go better? oh i was using two 50grain pellets of pryodex thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
powder??

pellets or loose powder? is there any difference besides the option to add or take away a few grains with the loose powder? is it a lot cheaper than the pellets? thanks again.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Re: powder??

Try loose powder. Most will agree with this. Pellits are just a convenience for the most part.

Every gun likes something different, and some guns don't like some loads at all. I try to shoot a couple different loads, and then tinker with what shoots OK. +/- a few grains here and there.

Can't comment on the gun as I only shoot a flintlock, but it applies to what ever you shoot. I have a few guns that just hate certain loads, but will shoot just about anything else.

I just wish I could find some people that like to hunt nearby to give a reason to get a muzzy stamp. I hate going alone.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
you're in luck!! i used to own a .45 apex. The 195's wont shoot for crap! Try some 275gr powerbelts with 70gr pyrodex P. 240gr tc maxi balls with the same powder charge and also using a felt wad will shoot tight!

I also used to shoot some 385gr paper patched conicals with 80gr pyrodex RS.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Shoot the loose powder. You can abjust your charge alot more than you can with pellets. 5 grains will make a big difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts