The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I currently don't have my own shotgun (but am hoping to purchase one soon), so in the meantime, I've been borrowing one from my dad. Neither of us know too much about it, but I was curious on shooting slugs from it. I live in Allegheny County, PA and if I plan on deer hunting this year during the gun season, I'll need it. All I can get from the gun is it's a "Remington Model 1100 - 12 GA for 2 3/4in. shells". Its a semi-auto, and says "Mod." towards the back of the barrel. I guess I'm just curious on if I can shoot slugs through it, and if so, is there a particular kind?? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The "mod" is the choke. You should be able to shoot any regular slugs. Don't waste your money on sabots. Try the Lightfields.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Hmmm.. I took a quick look and could not find it, but I am wondering if an autoloading shotgun is legal for hunting deer?

The digest mentions the prohibition on autoloading handguns and rifles for deer, but what about an autoloader shotgun??

I am sure someone on this site will know and post the info within a grouse flush...

No problem shooting 2 3/4 inch slugs through a modified choke.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
If its a smooth bore you will want to use rifled slugs.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The green& yellow Remington 12 ga 2 3/4 inch slugs will work fine.

If you have a rib on the top of the barrel it is easy to add a pair or front and rear sights to it. Try Dick'e or Big Buck on route 910 not far from your.

Adding sights will let you sight it in and make sure it is hitting where you are looking. If you need a place to shoot it and don't belong to one of the sportsmen's clubs in your area...try the game lands rand #203 on Game land Road, off route 910.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dont mean to burst your bubble, but the semi shotgun would be against the rules anywhere in PA. Your in the clear to hunt ohio though! You need to check the pa hunting manual, and you may also call the game commission headquarters and ask.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Autoloading shotguns are legal in special regulations areas.That includes Allegheny county.Check the top of page 81 in the book.You can't use buckshot in Allegheny county but in the other special regulation areas you can.Make sure they are 2 and 3/4 slugs you buy.Not trying to insult you just making sure you know.Don't try stuffing a 3 inch or 3 and 1/2 in there.Slugs will shoot out of a modified choke easily,I know I have done it.The only real problem I see is if the gun only has a bead on the end and no rifle sights or a scope you will be disappointed.You may have a hard time with accuracy.Anyhow I wish you luck and be safe.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it! Yeah, I'll try and get some sights on it. I'm gonna check at Dicks and Big Bucks as mentioned above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts