The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to set up a shotgun for fox/coyote and was wondering what choke tubes are good? what shells, buckshot etc? and also do you use a red dot or just the bead sight? I have an 835 with a turkey choke and fiber optic sights is that good enough? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You have a great set up already. Choke tube depends on the shells you'll be using. Good luck.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I use a Carlson Coyote choke with #4 Buckshot for coyotes and a modified choke and #2 lead for fox.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Gonna be just like setting up for turkey...........time spent trying different shell/tube combo's at the patterning board is the only way to find out what'll work best for you.

I tried EVERY logical combo I could think of in my BPS 10 gauge and none of them worked to my satisfaction. Then I ran a 2 1/4 oz. load of copper plated 2's through a Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full tube (meant for 5's and 6's) and it shot like a BEAST !!!!!!! No way in the world that combo makes sense to even try..........tube should be WAAAAAY too tight for 2's, but...............

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
My Carlson's dead coyote tube has worked awesome with every load I have put through it. From #6 pheasant loads up to #4 buck.

·
Registered
17,859 Posts
if you need a light or predator call, look in the for sale section. lots of good stuff there, right around page 3

night eyes gun light and head light for $125, thats a great deal and NO its not mine. there are also some fox pro callers there too.

i have the wicked lights and they work great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use a night eyes gun light clamped to the magazine tube of my 835. I'm using Remington Nitro mag 3" #2 shot for fox with the standard full choke that came with my 835.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have same exact gun!
Spent some time patterning the Carlson dead coyote with it.
Shot federal 3-1/2" turkey loads, 3" Winchester and Remington nitro mags, Remington #4 buck shot and hevi shot dead coyote. For my gun the Winchester 3" turkey loads shot 10x better than federal 3-1/2" and Remington nitro mags. Which I wanted to pattern for turkey hunting and coyote hunting.
For coyote hunting the hevi shot put 3x more pellets in the 8"-10" kill zone then the buck shot.
Keep in mind this is at 50 yards.
I put a $70 red dot sight on and it works just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts