The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a 4x32scope on my Nova. I mounted it on a saddle mount. I sighted it in today with a turkey load and it is grouping a little low. I have the turret cranked all the up, but it's still a bit low. Any suggestions? I have heard of shimming the rings?? But how, and which ring to bring the POA up a little. Thanks

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would try a different load before I would mess with any shims.
Your gun may shoot Federal #5's a little high and be right on.....just a thought.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yes, #6's may shoot different out of your gun but also other brands will sometimes pattern better (or worse).It will get costly to try a lot of different loads.......try one of your buddys that is of a load or brand other than you have tried. I have personally seen a new out of the box shotgun with a bent barrel. If yours is new may want to check that out. As for shimming, you want to follow your mistake, i.e. if your shooting low the back of the scope needs to come up. I would use that as a last resort.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
Are the Nova's drilled/tapped for a base? My Benelli SBE 2 is. I mounted a picatinny base on it with no POI issues.

Can you try different rings? Or a different base?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be tough to give up my Supremes...killed quite a few with them... I'll mess with it a little, try some different ammo. Got a week to play before our annual mecca for turkey week.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, first thing I checked. SO I had to go with the saddle, or find a gunsmith. Went with the saddle for now. I have one (saddle) on my 870 and a red dot. It shoots great, my son uses that gun now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts