The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
My next shotgun scope will be a burris FFIII. But for the money the cheap reflex sight I bought off of ebay works great. It has a circle aperture that is pretty much my pattern. Has a dot in the center. My nephew used it and crushed his first bird with it.

I checked the other day and she is still holding zero.

Registered
None at all, depending upon the model and size of shell, your range is only going to be about 40 yards or less.
You don't need a scope to shoot 40 yards.
Them darn pellets flys a little different every time you shoot, and being one inch high or low doesn't really matter when you are shooting at the neck of a turkey.
But it would really suck if you were walking along and a nice turkey flew out and you couldn't shoot, because you couldn't put it in the scope fast enough to shoot, or couldn't aim at it because you can't wingshoot with a scope. I try to keep all my turkey hunting equipment KISS.

Registered
I've advocated a red dot on a turkey gun for many years. Reasons: no eye relief issues as with magnifying scopes, shooting with both eyes open eliminates rain/fogging issues, head does not have to be in alignment as with using bead and hind sight (I've been in some really contorted positions several times!). Battery? You have plenty of time, as in many days, to realize the intensity is decreasing because you have to turn it up a notch or two. A new battery lasts me several seasons, and that's leaving it on all the while hunting.

Registered
Jerbo said:
None at all, depending upon the model and size of shell, your range is only going to be about 40 yards or less.
You don't need a scope to shoot 40 yards.
Them darn pellets flys a little different every time you shoot, and being one inch high or low doesn't really matter when you are shooting at the neck of a turkey.
But it would really suck if you were walking along and a nice turkey flew out and you couldn't shoot, because you couldn't put it in the scope fast enough to shoot, or couldn't aim at it because you can't wingshoot with a scope. I try to keep all my turkey hunting equipment KISS.
Ha! You obviously have never shot a shotgun with a Burris Fastfire style red dot.
Immediate target acquisition.
I've shot clays and killed doves with my turkey gun.

As a matter of fact I believe the Fastfire and the Speedbead mount I have on my gun were originally developed for wingshooting.

Registered
Here's my story with my Burris and batteries.

I killed two longbeards in 2014 and hunted until the end of the season. I'd often be concerned about the batteries because I'd grab the gun in the morning and realize I left the red dot on over night. I'd even try to turn the dot off when walking to conserve battery life.

Then came the week before 2015 Spring season and I got my gun out to shoot one day. When I shoulder it I realized I had left my Burris on ALL YEAR! For a solid 11 months it sat in the gun cabinet with the red dot on, and although it was a bit more dim than I prefer, I could have easily used it to hunt with.
I changed the batteries and it brought everything back to full brightness.

Moral of the story: Don't let the idea of dead batteries keep you from buying a Burris.

I had a 1X4 on my turkey gun for many, many years. I would never go back to a scope over a red dot, especially a Burris or other acquisition sight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.